Breanna Stewart back in Cicero | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Breanna Stewart back in Cicero

I disagree with some of the sentiment expressed here. She picked UConn for obvious reasons; to advance her career and play with a winner. In some ways it has worked for her, but overall I think it was the weaker choice.

If Breanna had chosen SU, other good talent would have been sucked in behind her and we could have had a team sufficient to challenge the UConn dynasty. The glory and honor of that success would have surpassed the boring experience of perpetual blowouts. She blew it.
Yeah, 4 time NC. Olympian, future commentator based upon success. She had a chance to be Russell or Chamberlain. She chose Russell.

What's really sad is your reading comprehension. That's the real victim of a this thread.

Good god.
In all seriousness, there is a lot of animosity and residual anger directed at Stewart for her decision to forego playing for her hometown school and/or choosing to throw in with the Evil Empire. I can recall similar theads from past years. I'll chalk this one up to the gap in the schedule.

In all seriousness, there is a lot of animosity and residual anger directed at Stewart for her decision to forego playing for her hometown school and/or choosing to throw in with the Evil Empire. I can recall similar theads from past years. I'll chalk this one up to the gap in the schedule.

That might very well be true, but none of that sentiment was expressed in this thread, which makes the indignation unwarranted.

I'm with SU on this one. Throw a welcome home party for a UConn player at your own expense, as she comes to the Dome and destroys your team? Why? For what? A good crowd? Seems desperate. Like it's supposed to be some privilege and honor to get your butt kicked by her because she's the best and she grew up in Syracuse?

Nah, I don't blame them for not opting into that. Let the Lemoynes and Colgates of the world play the star struck "welcome home, it's so cool to get our butt kicked by you!" school.

I'm with SU on this one. Throw a welcome home party for a UConn player at your own expense, as she comes to the Dome and destroys your team? Why? For what? A good crowd? Seems desperate. Like it's supposed to be some privilege and honor to get your butt kicked by her because she's the best and she grew up in Syracuse?

Nah, I don't blame them for not opting into that. Let the Lemoynes and Colgates of the world play the star struck "welcome home, it's so cool to get our butt kicked by you!" school.

Don't forget it can only help recruiting...uconns recruiting that is.

I'd go one step further and commend SU for their restraint. It must have been a little hard to turn down their biggest gate of the season.

But getting a large crowd for this would be a product of seeing UConn and the home town girl, and not for people coming out to see the SU womens hoop team. It could set up an attendance record based on the wrong influences. And a big draw at the dome would probably be great publicity for the UConn team.

I'm with you, SU did the right thing by staying away from this.

creatorsgame said:
My last memory of CNS was playing a lacrosse game under the lights in snow, mud up to my ankle on a Friday night. Haven't cared about any of their athletes going to any college for any sport. So why is she any different from the tennis player that goes to Cortland? Go to 'Cuse, and you have my attention. When does apathy = vilification?

Apathy isn't the same as vilification. And some were apathy. But there's plenty of vilification and hate too. The F hers (which were deleted) the screw hers, the she's dead to me, etc. Those aren't apathy.

Apathy isn't the same as vilification. And some were apathy. But there's plenty of vilification and hate too. The F hers (which were deleted) the screw hers, the she's dead to me, etc. Those aren't apathy.
Actually, that last one is, by definition, the epitome of apathy

I am a former townie and not an alum. I think that makes my perspective different than someone who is an alum, but not a townie.

From my perspective if a hometown player is good enough to play at one of the Syracuse programs and help the program I would really like them to do that, but I also understand that that individual may have a desire to spread their wings and go to school somewhere other than their hometown. I will generally root for the hometown kids to do well, except when it directly impacts SU negatively in some fashion. So if UConn played SU I would always root for SU to win over the hometown kid's team. If Stewart were competing against an SU girl for an award of some sort I would always root for the SU kid to win it. That said, I would root for Stewart to win it over some random kid playing at S. Carolina.

I also get how SU alums, who are not townies, wouldn't really give a crap about Stewart. She's from Syracuse....so what? She didn't attend SU.

Ultimately, I think the posters in this thread that recognize that there is really more down side to scheduling a game with UConn then there is upside are right. What is in it for SU....a one in a million chance to shock the world...probably not enough in comparison with putting a sizable crowd in your home building that might actually be rooting against you.

As for Stewart's decision....she had the opportunity to help build a hometown program that has historically been mediocre to downright terrible or attend and be a part of what is arguably the best program of all time...and not just be a part of it, but be its centerpiece. The decision was something of a no brainer. She could not have accomplished all that she has at UConn if she had stayed at home and attended SU. Would she still have been a great individual player...probably, but would she have played for four NCAA championships, probably not. Would she be looking at the opportunity to be the first 3x National Player of the year since Cheryl Miller...probably not. If the decision had been to go and be the player on the end of the bench at UConn for four years vs. coming to SU and being a star, then maybe you have a better argument that she should have chosen SU.

I got the animosity that was directed at Paulus for choosing Duke or that would have been directed at DCII had he chosen UK. In both of those cases SU presented a more similar opportunity to the out of town opportunity they were weighing against SU. In Stewart's case it would almost be like asking a men's player to choose LeMoyne against SU.

Is Stewart pissed at Syracuse because we didn't play UCON here at home? Is there a sense of entitlement going here?

Now to be fair I poseted because admittedly was a little confused as to why someone was posting about lady uconn players on the Syracuse men's basketball board.

This board was born from the storz garbage pile at the boneyard. Some of that DNA dies hard.

Certainly no surprise that some on this board think we should pay homage to UCon or its players. Been that way forever. Just plain silly.

If she didn't grow up in Cicero, I would never have posted it. It has nothing to do with being a UCONN fan. A local girl made good and came back to vsist the old neighborhood. That's all it was.

Let's all remember that if every high school football and basketball player played at the Div 1 college closest to their home, SU football and basketball would suck. It is somewhat ironic that we love players who leave their hometowns to come to Syracuse to play while simultaneously shunning local players who do the same thing by going away to play (i.e. Mike Hart). Breanna Stewart is set to have the best college basketball career in the history of women's college basketball and she is from our town. Why would we not be proud of her, even if she is doing it for a school other than SU?

Let's all remember that if every high school football and basketball player played at the Div 1 college closest to their home, SU football and basketball would suck. It is somewhat ironic that we love players who leave their hometowns to come to Syracuse to play while simultaneously shunning local players who do the same thing by going away to play (i.e. Mike Hart). Breanna Stewart is set to have the best college basketball career in the history of women's college basketball and she is from our town. Why would we not be proud of her, even if she is doing it for a school other than SU?

Does/Did she play a sport at Syracuse University?

No, she did not.

We're all here to post about Syracuse UNIVERSITY athletics - basketball specifically on this section of the site.
This person has exactly nothing to do w/ SU hoops, Women's or otherwise.

I'm in the camp of I couldn't care less that SU didn't want to schedule a "homecoming" game for her. Not their responsibility to worry about that at all. But I also will always root for the local products to succeed, regardless of where they go. Hell, I even root for Chandler Jones on the Patriots, and that is beyond difficult to do.

I'm in the camp of I couldn't care less that SU didn't want to schedule a "homecoming" game for her. Not their responsibility to worry about that at all. But I also will always root for the local products to succeed, regardless of where they go. Hell, I even root for Chandler Jones on the Patriots, and that is beyond difficult to do.
Donovan McNabb as an Eagle was difficult for me.

Interesting read now that she is getting her game against her hometown team for the NC.

If this were a movie UConn would lose but its not a movie and Stewart will get 4th title tonight.

I just hope the game isn't over by halftime. If this SU team had Stewart they have now proven this team could win a NC. She chose UConn and I think SU was smart not to schedule UConn now.

I agree that SU was VERY smart not to schedule UConn this season. They have only seen the adjustments Coach Q and his staff has made since we were in the Big East together, not actually played against them, or played against this particular team. We have a poor chance of beating them tonight, but a better one than if we had played them earlier in the season.

RF2044 said:
Is it okay to root against Brenna Stewart again? Or are we still "haters" if we root for SU to win tonight?\ Oh Lord

I'm rooting like crazy for SU but I'm not going to make it personal against Stewart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom