Breanna Stewart back in Cicero | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Breanna Stewart back in Cicero

Also apparently full of self righteous windbags who would condescend to tell others who they should root for.
Your rooting against. There is a difference. The girl left her hometown to go to college. Most kids do. To be vilified and scorned by "adults" over another person's decision which has no impact on them is unfathomable, except to call it childish.
How many of those with the derisive comments have ever been to an SU women's game. Any.

Some of this might be the difference between alums and townies. I can't think of a reason why an alum, with no ties to the area other than their college, would have any particular regard for local kids who went to college elsewhere.

I've got a Master's from Syracuse but my allegiance to SU comes much more growing up in the area. I can see where a townie would root for local kids no matter where they go. I just don't fall in that category -- if you didn't go to SU or Fulton, I couldn't give a flying f about you as a player.

This townie doesn't GAF.

Your rooting against. There is a difference. The girl left her hometown to go to college. Most kids do. To be vilified and scorned by "adults" over another person's decision which has no impact on them is unfathomable, except to call it childish.
How many of those with the derisive comments have ever been to an SU women's game. Any.

Wrong. I am ambivalent. Big difference.

She isn't being vilified or scorned by me, as I explained earlier if you'd bothered to read. That is a false, misinformed attribution on your part.

And as I also explained, I don't find fault her decision--which again, you apparently conveniently ignored, didn't understand, or didn't bother to read before rushing to an indignant reaction. That's what's really childish.

I've been to SU women's games before, and actually know some players who've been a part of that program. If uconn were to play SU, then I would certainly root against Stewart, because I root for the Orange. I don't have any affiliation with uconn, don't like them, and certainly don't root for their success. If you choose to, good on you. But don't condescend to tell me or anyone else who to root for or why we should.

Last edited:
I viewed it as a celebrity coming home. if Tom Cruise, who lived not far from there there for a couple years as a child, came back to look at the old neighborhood, I'd post a video of it. I don't see this as any different.

As to SU refusing to schedule a game, I think they bit themselves in the nose. They'd get a bigger crowd for that than for anyone they were playing.

OK. Point out the posts where Breanna Stewart is being vilified plz. TIA.

you know what I spend a lot of time worrying about? womens college basketball. womens college sports basically only exist because of title 9. there is no money in the sports, and the reason is that no one cares. her play to be the next forced-down-your-throat Yukon player failed because no one cares, she is just not interesting. Brittany griner is interesting. stewart is a great, and I mean great, maybe best ever level basketball player. but no one cares I mean come on. for the women side people care about the Olympics and that's it.

I viewed it as a celebrity coming home. if Tom Cruise, who lived not far from there there for a couple years as a child, came back to look at the old neighborhood, I'd post a video of it. I don't see this as any different.

As to SU refusing to schedule a game, I think they bit themselves in the nose. They'd get a bigger crowd for that than for anyone they were playing.
so a program spurned by a local kid is supposed to throw a welcome home party and be all happy just because we were the closest program to a great player that went elsewhere, and then be like yeah have a welcome home party in our gym so we can sell a couple extra tickets, come on swc you are better than that

In other news, the Big 5 schools are still really pissed that Wilt chose Kansas.

Why schedule a loss for someone that snubbed you? If she went to a military service, that's one thing, but Yukon? No thanks.

so a program spurned by a local kid is supposed to throw a welcome home party and be all happy just because we were the closest program to a great player that went elsewhere, and then be like yeah have a welcome home party in our gym so we can sell a couple extra tickets, come on swc you are better than that

I have no idea what the last statement means.

I would think any program in the country would like to play Connecticut and give their fans a look at the best team and beat player in the country.

Great athletes or great students usually want to go to school where other students of their ability attend.
Would you be this upset if the most highly academically qualified student in Syracuse went to Harvard instead of SU?

What UConn wanted to do in scheduling a game in Syracuse is the same thing that North Carolina and other schools do for their senior players. North Carolina even came to Binghamton when King Rice played for them.

I can understand the disappointment of seeing Breanna going to UConn instead of SU, but to say "to hell with her" is a little over the top.

Great athletes or great students usually want to go to school where other students of their ability attend.
Would you be this upset if the most highly academically qualified student in Syracuse went to Harvard instead of SU?

What UConn wanted to do in scheduling a game in Syracuse is the same thing that North Carolina and other schools do for their senior players. North Carolina even came to Binghamton when King Rice played for them.

I can understand the disappointment of seeing Breanna going to UConn instead of SU, but to say "to hell with her" is a little over the top.
at the time, dajuan coleman and breanna were the top ranked players in the country. had dajuan played at Yukon and won 3 titles in a row and then Calhoun wanted to have a dajuan coleman senior party in the dome would you feel the same. no. just stop it. and, king rice was an .

I have no idea what the last statement means.

I would think any program in the country would like to play Connecticut and give their fans a look at the best team and beat player in the country.
so you think that every program wants to host a game where you will get pasted and at the same time allow a bunch of local fans have a party for a local player that went to a better program. where to start.

Also a sure L on the schedule.

you know what I spend a lot of time worrying about? womens college basketball. womens college sports basically only exist because of title 9. there is no money in the sports, and the reason is that no one cares. her play to be the next forced-down-your-throat Yukon player failed because no one cares, she is just not interesting. Brittany griner is interesting. stewart is a great, and I mean great, maybe best ever level basketball player. but no one cares I mean come on. for the women side people care about the Olympics and that's it.
Ten or even five years ago you would be right. But the women have improved a lot. Now granted Uconn dominates, but so did UCLA for a decade on the men's side. But the entire top 25 plus some more teams are totally watchable now at least to me and I didn't used to feel that way.

As for it not making $, does our men's lacrosse team either? Or virtually any other sport that isn't D1 football or men's basketball?

I disagree with some of the sentiment expressed here. She picked UConn for obvious reasons; to advance her career and play with a winner. In some ways it has worked for her, but overall I think it was the weaker choice.

If Breanna had chosen SU, other good talent would have been sucked in behind her and we could have had a team sufficient to challenge the UConn dynasty. The glory and honor of that success would have surpassed the boring experience of perpetual blowouts. She blew it.

Can't believe the amount of hate for Stewart. She did what she felt was best for her. She said she wanted to win 4 national championships.

I'd expect many of you wont be rooting for our new football RB coach.

My last memory of CNS was playing a lacrosse game under the lights in snow, mud up to my ankle on a Friday night. Haven't cared about any of their athletes going to any college for any sport. So why is she any different from the tennis player that goes to Cortland? Go to 'Cuse, and you have my attention.

When does apathy = vilification?

Born and raised in the cuse. Being an avid sport fan always rooted for the local kids to do well at any school they went to. Always rooted for su kids that played at the professional level no mater the team they played for. Some of you guys just wow.

Its sad that a bunch of grown people are bashing on a local talent...who might be the greatest female basketball player of all time...because she chose to attend the greatest womens collegiate program of all time.

Do you know how petty you all sound right now?

Its sad that a bunch of grown people are bashing on a local talent...who might be the greatest female basketball player of all time...because she chose to attend the greatest womens collegiate program of all time.

Born and raised in the cuse. Being an avid sport fan always rooted for the local kids to do well at any school they went to. Always rooted for su kids that played at the professional level no mater the team they played for. Some of you guys just wow.
Can't believe the amount of hate for Stewart. She did what she felt was best for her. She said she wanted to win 4 national championships.

I'd expect many of you wont be rooting for our new football RB coach.

:rolleyes:

What's really sad is your reading comprehension. That's the real victim of a this thread.

Good god.

Last edited:
My last memory of CNS was playing a lacrosse game under the lights in snow, mud up to my ankle on a Friday night. Haven't cared about any of their athletes going to any college for any sport. So why is she any different from the tennis player that goes to Cortland? Go to 'Cuse, and you have my attention.

When does apathy = vilification?

In rush to judgement fantasy land.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom