Rob Murphy placed on leave from the Pistons after workplace misconduct allegations. | Syracusefan.com

Rob Murphy placed on leave from the Pistons after workplace misconduct allegations.

Wasn't there an issue before with him elsewhere?

Or allegations/ whispers

not sure the details - but my two cents - consensual sex between coworkers should never be considered workplace misconduct...im not on-board with this new strictness in HR and the workplace...that seems to have somehow become normalized in society.

not sure the details - but my two cents - consensual sex between coworkers should never be considered workplace misconduct...im not on-board with this new strictness in HR and the workplace...that seems to have somehow become normalized in society.
So, if I venture to guess, the reason why consensual relationships are being handled more strictly by HR these days is because they aren't really all that consensual.

That is not a commentary on this situation or Rob Murphy. That's a general statement and observation.

In many cases, if the person you are having consensual sex with is a grade level higher...a supervisor, for example, it ventures into an area of concern.

Raises, possible promotions, or your actual job security can be at stake. A concern for the underling.

In many cases, if the person you are having consensual sex with is a grade level higher...a supervisor, for example, it ventures into an area of concern.

Raises, possible promotions, or your actual job security can be at stake. A concern for the underling.
How bout this ? Why go there at all ? Not enough people on earth ? No way to meet someone via technology that doesn’t happen to work where you work ? Seems fairly avoidable

Rob Murphy was working for Troy Weaver? The Boeheim runs deep.
When Troy Weaver left Cuse all those years ago, he actually recommended Rob Murphy as a possible replacement for him, and JB went with his recommendation. Worked out pretty well for us. Rob was a very good recruiter and assistant coach.

Last edited:

And the thing is that no matter how innocent it starts, it's still against the policy in most companies.

And yet, it's been going on for a million years and will continue to do so. People of all ages and socio-economic backgrounds. Is there anyone that doesn't know of at least one person who wasn't involved in either a short-term or long-term relationship with a co-worker who generally would not be on the same level.

But, like I said, it is against the policy in any company large enough to have an employee handbook.

I loved Rob Murphy here. Recruiting hasn’t been the same since he left. Seemed like a great guy too. Sorry to hear his marriage didn’t last but since it didn’t......what’s the big deal unless he was harassing?

Or, can be considered so, by at least one of the parties.

THAT'S why it should most definitely be considered workplace misconduct.

The entire cast of The Office woulda been on leave for workplace misconduct -
Pretty much every character hooked up w a coworker at one point or another.

A coworker is not the same as a supervisor who has the power to use career-killing leverage to coerce someone.

I know a couple of people who were put into that awkward situation. One was a supervisor who was lucky he wasn't sued/fired and another (underling) who quit rather than put up with the harassment and went elsewhere.

(I know you know the difference and I know you know sht happens)

I was s exually harassed at work. I was doing a trade show for science/laboratory equipment suppliers. A vice president of a rival company spent the 3 days while the trade show was in progress following me whenever I went to the men's room. A coworker agreed to serve as a personal security guard after the first day.

After the event was over there was a sponsored get-together at the Hotel Syracuse...this guy belatedly joined a group of 5 people that included me who were having a casual conversation...he stood next to me and surreptitiously tried to fondle me. He's lucky I didn't deck him. I immediately exited the gathering.

Gay people are fine. Aggressive gay people can be a pain. Just like aggressive heteros.

Last edited:
How bout this ? Why go there at all ? Not enough people on earth ? No way to meet someone via technology that doesn’t happen to work where you work ? Seems fairly avoidable
The urge to merge is very powerful.

Totally disagree.
Years ago, and I’m talking 80’s and 90’s, we had a much more carefree policy about workplace “entanglements”. But when you start seeing lawsuits being launched at other firms, and the disruption that such issues can bring to the workplace, we now have a no tolerance policy in place…with stipulations.
Any relationship between co-workers has to be known, ie; they must inform HR or an immediate supervisor. Obviously if it’s an affair or triangle, they won’t want it exposed, but if it’s discovered that that’s what’s going on, married people and so on, it’s termination…point-blank period.
We’ve had cases where a significant other started calling in, accusing a manager of messing w/ a girlfriend and whatnot. That calls for immediate suspension until its fully investigated and cleared.
The time lost, the disruption, the lost productivity hours, etc.- just not worth it. Bottom line, we make it very clear the consequences of a workplace entanglement, but we’re not draconian enough to totally forbid it.

Last edited:
She went to another school.
Grinning Season 6 GIF by The Office

I worked for a company that had several of these cases that were different level employees. Once the trysts were discovered taking place on company property the lower level employee then complained of coercion and the senior was terminated. The second was the lower level did not get the promotion promised and the senior was terminated ,the lower level never complained until after the position was filled. Just saying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom