2024 PGA Tour | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

2024 PGA Tour

I’d imagine he’d withdraw if he gets released that quick. I would. No chance Id be able to focus after going through that. Not to mention the narrative from law enforcement that will probably say he was jeopardizing the safety of an officer and almost killed him and yada yada yada that I’d bet money is the direction they’ll take it.
The police never lie or embellish .

“At one point, an officer attached himself to the side of Scheffler's car.”

That sounds like a YOU problem

Terrible situation. Sounds like a big misunderstanding and an overzealous cop (shocker). I hope Scottie can regroup and goes low. I'm pulling for him big time now.

My initial impression of the Scheffler incident after reading a couple articles is it sounds like cooler heads could have prevailed on both sides.
Yeah I agree. My instinct is that Scheffler was playing the "I don't have to wait and play by the rules like everyone else because I'm an elite golfer" card, and the cops were probably tired/flustered from the accident where someone died and had razor-thin patience and were likely to be heavy-handed.

Worst case scenario, Scheffler will pay a fine that is like pocket change for him, maybe do a little community service in the form of a pro-am golf tourney, and nobody will remember this happened a week from now.

Yeah I agree. My instinct is that Scheffler was playing the "I don't have to wait and play by the rules like everyone else because I'm an elite golfer" card, and the cops were probably tired/flustered from the accident where someone died and had razor-thin patience and were likely to be heavy-handed.

Worst case scenario, Scheffler will pay a fine that is like pocket change for him, maybe do a little community service in the form of a pro-am golf tourney, and nobody will remember this happened a week from now.

An article that was just released said Scheffler was following the directions he was used to following and didn’t think he was doing anything out of the ordinary. The procedure was that he’d show his credentials and then he could get in to the club, possibly around stopped traffic on that road.

The problem is that he didn’t know there had been an accident and the cops working it weren’t the normal traffic cops for the event, so they assumed he was some jacka$$ cutting the line and not following directions.

That’s at least Scottie’s side of things.

It’s hard not to be very annoyed with the officer’s exaggeration of his injuries and what transpired to justify Scheffler’s arrest. Officers pulling that kind of crap is what erodes trust.

Terrible situation. Sounds like a big misunderstanding and an overzealous cop (shocker). I hope Scottie can regroup and goes low. I'm pulling for him big time now.

It will show great mental toughness for him to block this and win- that I would respect.

That being said, Scottie was just as much to blame for this blowing up, and I'm not sure why I should root for him any more because of this. Police power trip and are not accountable all the time, but a police moved along side for 20 yards (is it moved, carried, or "dragged... cops could be exaggerating that). I'd love to give all blame to the cops here, but I just can't bring my self

You have significantly more police presence than normal because of the accident with cops that aren't involved with the tournament now on the scene. Obviously Scottie did not know why the multiples of additional police were there, but he should have been more on alert that something was different. It seems some others were able to mentally navigate the difference in that period unlike Scottie.

Scottie's instincts was to just ignore the guy trying to direct him / stop him, and then carried him along for about 20 yards. Interesting how Darlington's story started at maybe 10 yards, and is now up to 20 yards.

Does this make Scottie guilty of a felony... no. It was a mistake, perhaps an absent minded one, and not ego driven. I assume they will settle on one misdemeanor charge.

Last edited:
It will show great mental toughness for him to block this and win- that I would respect.

That being said, Scottie was just as much to blame for this blowing up, and I'm not sure why I should root for him any more because of this. Police power trip and are not accountable all the time, but a police moved along side for 20 yards (is it moved, carried, or "dragged... cops could be exaggerating that)

You have significantly more police presence than normal because of the accident with cops that aren't involved with the tournament now on the scene. Obviously Scottie did not know why the multiples of additional police were there, but he should have been more on alert that something was different. It seems some others were able to mentally navigate the difference in that period unlike Scottie.

Scottie's instincts was to just ignore the guy trying to direct him / stop him, and then carried him along for about 20 yards. Interesting how Darlington's story started at maybe 10 yards, and is now up to 20 yards.

Does this make Scottie guilty of a felony... no. It was a mistake, perhaps an absent minded one, and not ego driven. I assume they will settle on one misdemeanor charge.
Playing well so far. Amazing how mentally strong the top golfers are. Separates the major champions from the grinders.

That being said, Scottie was just as much to blame for this blowing up, and I'm not sure why I should root for him any more because of this. Police power trip and are not accountable all the time, but a police moved along side for 20 yards (is it moved, carried, or "dragged... cops could be exaggerating that)

Darlington’s original story said 10-20 yards, to my recollection. Either way, anybody who’s been on a football field can tell you that’s not far by any stretch.

I take issue with the idea that the car dragged the officer, too. The officer knew he couldn’t stop a car with his hand. I’d bet none of his training has told him to grab a moving vehicle, too. So, the officer decides to grab a vehicle and decides to hold on to a vehicle and that equates to assault by the driver? That is incredibly sketchy. It’s the equivalent of charging somebody with resisting arrest if they instinctively jerk their arm away when a guy with unknown intentions and a gun (a police officer) tries to grab them. Technically, the law allows for that charge, but the law allows for charges for just about anything.

An article that was just released said Scheffler was following the directions he was used to following and didn’t think he was doing anything out of the ordinary. The procedure was that he’d show his credentials and then he could get in to the club, possibly around stopped traffic on that road.

The problem is that he didn’t know there had been an accident and the cops working it weren’t the normal traffic cops for the event, so they assumed he was some jacka$$ cutting the line and not following directions.

It’s hard not to be very annoyed with the officer’s exaggeration of his injuries and what transpired to justify Scheffler’s arrest. Officers pulling that kind of crap is what erodes trust.

You still have to stop to show your credentials. Showing credentials is not a drive by procedure. If an officer doesn't let you advance after you stop, even if they should have, and you still decide to advance you are now the one in the wrong. There had to be some others that got there before Scottie and were able to navigate the differences fairly easily. Not fully absolving the cops, but Scottie made some bad judgments here.

I don't doubt there was some power tripping and exaggeration as to what happened in those 20 yards.

They will settle on that 4th charge on the docket which just seems like a minor misdemeanor.

Last edited:
I think you're right. I can imagine the PGA of America and the USGA having a discussion with the DA in that county saying if this doesn't get knocked down we'll never play Valhalla again.

When he said he wanted to follow in Tiger’s footsteps, nobody took him literally.
I don't think Scotty was whacked out on pain pills in this scenario

crooked cop looking for a payday

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom