2024 Bracketology / Selection Show | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Bracketology / Selection Show

Think SU could still get the 3 seed over Hop. They have the head to head and more top 5 wins.

Right now it looks like SU has three top five wins (Duke, Hopkins, UVA), while Hopkins has one (UVA). But the next best win SU has is UNC at 21. Hopkins has six top 20 wins (including UVA). Not sure what the committee will value more.

It might come down to the Big 10 title game tonight. Penn State is at 6 in the RPI right behind UVA. If they switch, it would still give Hopkins only one top five win, but take away from Syracuse. I would think Head to Head could serve as a tie breaker (I think it should), but just prepping myself for the worst here.

St. Joe's would be a very interesting matchup, they run a 10 man all game and ride extremely hard.

Yes, it would no cake walk. They started the seasons 0-3 with losses to BU, Duke and Towson but haven’t lost since. All things considered I think SU wants to be in that Denver quadrant, all things considered.

St Joes certainly isn’t a lock to advance either, as Richmond is really good and the Hawks only beat them by one earlier this year. Obviously if Richmond wins SU probably isn’t drawing them based on geography.

Yes, it would no cake walk. They started the seasons 0-3 with losses to BU, Duke and Towson but haven’t lost since. All things considered I think SU wants to be in that Denver quadrant, all things considered.

St Joes certainly isn’t a lock to advance either, as Richmond is really good and the Hawks only beat them by one earlier this year. Obviously if Richmond wins SU probably isn’t drawing them based on geography.
Then more likely winner of BU/Lehigh which may be possible anyway.

May 4 Update:

The net effect of Johns Hopkins’ Big Ten quarterfinal loss is probably going to be to drop a seed or two. The committee has an interesting decision with the Blue Jays and Syracuse: Prioritize head-to-head and/or high-end victories, or reward Hopkins for breadth of accomplishments and (slightly) better metrics. The Blue Jays and Orange are on track to be the No. 3 and 4 seeds, in some order. …

Hempstead, N.Y.
(1) Notre Dame vs. METRO ATLANTIC/Sacred Heart-AMERICA EAST/Albany
(8) Maryland vs. Penn

Towson, Md.
(5) Virginia vs. ATLANTIC 10/Saint Joseph’s
(4) Johns Hopkins vs. CAA/Towson

Hempstead, N.Y.
(3) Syracuse vs. PATRIOT/Lehigh
(6) BIG TEN/Penn State vs. BIG EAST/Georgetown

Towson, Md.
(7) Denver vs. IVY/Princeton
(2) Duke vs. ATLANTIC SUN/Utah

Last three included: Denver, Maryland, Penn
First three on the outside: Cornell, Yale, Michigan
Moving in: Lehigh, Penn, Princeton
Moving out: Army, Cornell, Yale
Conference call: ACC (4), Big Ten (3), Big East (2), Ivy (2)

May 4 Update:

The net effect of Johns Hopkins’ Big Ten quarterfinal loss is probably going to be to drop a seed or two. The committee has an interesting decision with the Blue Jays and Syracuse: Prioritize head-to-head and/or high-end victories, or reward Hopkins for breadth of accomplishments and (slightly) better metrics. The Blue Jays and Orange are on track to be the No. 3 and 4 seeds, in some order. …

Hempstead, N.Y.
(1) Notre Dame vs. METRO ATLANTIC/Sacred Heart-AMERICA EAST/Albany
(8) Maryland vs. Penn

Towson, Md.
(5) Virginia vs. ATLANTIC 10/Saint Joseph’s
(4) Johns Hopkins vs. CAA/Towson

Hempstead, N.Y.
(3) Syracuse vs. PATRIOT/Lehigh
(6) BIG TEN/Penn State vs. BIG EAST/Georgetown

Towson, Md.
(7) Denver vs. IVY/Princeton
(2) Duke vs. ATLANTIC SUN/Utah

Last three included: Denver, Maryland, Penn
First three on the outside: Cornell, Yale, Michigan
Moving in: Lehigh, Penn, Princeton
Moving out: Army, Cornell, Yale
Conference call: ACC (4), Big Ten (3), Big East (2), Ivy (2)
But in this scenario would we rather have the #4 seed than the #3 seed to get the Va/St. Joe winner in the quarters rather than the PSU/Gtown winner, if we get by the 1st round? Hmmm. Not sure. Patrick Stevens lays out the committee's choice nicely. I just don't know if there's enough for them to not just go with the RPI order of JHU at 3 & SU at 4, if it stays that way which it likely will.

Terry also has Syracuse as the three seed, vs Towson. In the same bracket as Georgetown and Penn State

66364145887fc.png

That's a home game for Towson.
I was getting mixed up on that myself yesterday. It is a home game for the seeded team Syracuse in the first round. Towson would only get a home game if they made it to the quarterfinals.

I’m curious how is it they decide who is the play in game? I get maac is prob weakest conference but america east being second weakest? Prob true i get but how did they determine that? Does it change every year depending how well conferences do?

I don't exactly see why they would put the ND-UMd quarterfinal in Towson in either of those brackets.

I’m curious how is it they decide who is the play in game? I get maac is prob weakest conference but america east being second weakest? Prob true i get but how did they determine that? Does it change every year depending how well conferences do?
Per Patrick Stevens in his Bracketology write-ups on USALaxmagazine.com its "the two lowest-ranked automatic qualifying teams" as determined by the committee but not necessarily stricktly by their RPI.

RPIs of potential SU first round opponents (pre Big 10 final)

Lehigh - 26
BU - 17
Towson - 16
St Joes - 14

All good teams. If BU wins, they would be a flight to Hopkins, Duke or anyone “south”. So, probably headed to Cuse regardless of other outcomes.

Lehigh would probably go to whoever is the third seed if they win (not a flight to either Syracuse or Hopkins).

Bottom line, if committee thinks SU is the 3rd seed, I think Syracuse gets patriot league winner. If committee thinks Hopkins is three seed, and Lehigh wins, SU probably get Towson (would not be a flight).

I think this is pretty “straight forward”, but could be completely off. IL has Lehigh to Hopkins as the four seed, but I don’t understand the reasoning behind that (since Lehigh would be lower than Towson in the RPI).

Of course we have to wait the longest to find out the outcome of the Patriot League final!

RPIs of potential SU first round opponents (pre Big 10 final)

Lehigh - 26
BU - 17
Towson - 16
St Joes - 14

All good teams. If BU wins, they would be a flight to Hopkins, Duke or anyone “south”. So, probably headed to Cuse regardless of other outcomes.

Lehigh would probably go to whoever is the third seed if they win (not a flight to either Syracuse or Hopkins).

Bottom line, if committee thinks SU is the 3rd seed, I think Syracuse gets patriot league winner. If committee thinks Hopkins is three seed, and Lehigh wins, SU probably get Towson (would not be a flight).

I think this is pretty “straight forward”, but could be completely off. IL has Lehigh to Hopkins as the four seed, but I don’t understand the reasoning behind that (since Lehigh would be lower than Towson in the RPI).

Of course we have to wait the longest to find out the outcome of the Patriot League final!

Committee probably trying to find away to send Albany to the Dome, they'd love the travel savings, lol

Last edited:
Probable bottom line from Michigan thrashing PSU: No bubble. 4 ACC, 4 B1G, 2 Big East, 1 Ivy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom