and places to avoid like the plague

Mostly looking for restaurants, but if there are attractions, fire away

Thanks in advance

Clearwater beach

Top 5

and places to avoid like the plague

Mostly looking for restaurants, but if there are attractions, fire away

Thanks in advance
Used to live in Tampa amnd was just down in Clearwater 2 weeks ago. Always loved Palm Pavilion, its right on the beach and a great lunch spot. My favorite spot was a place called Cooters for happy hour but apparently the owners retired and sold it so can't vouch for the new place. Always skipped the Frenchy's spots. Crabby Bills is fine.

Used to live in Tampa amnd was just down in Clearwater 2 weeks ago. Always loved Palm Pavilion, its right on the beach and a great lunch spot. My favorite spot was a place called Cooters for happy hour but apparently the owners retired and sold it so can't vouch for the new place. Always skipped the Frenchy's spots. Crabby Bills is fine.
Cooters was the best. Miss that happy hour. Second, Palm Pavilion. My parents are in Safety Harbor, if you make you way over there try out Gigglewaters. Solid food and amazing cocktails.

Edit: if you are into art the Dali museum in St. Pete is a favorite of mine.

Last edited:

Cooters was the best. Miss that happy hour. Second, Palm Pavilion. My parents are in Safety Harbor, if you make you way over there try out Gigglewaters. Solid food and amazing cocktails.

Edit: if you are into art the Dali museum in St. Pete is a favorite of mine.

Ha, Cooters.

I've been to Clearwater Beach three times now, each for a couple days at a time, usually after spending the first part of the week at Disney. We stay at the Hyatt. We always rent a car then drive over, then fly home from Tampa.

So the first time going out, we drive past the original Hooters going through Clearwater. I jokingly suggest to my wife (sons are like 7 and 4 at the time) that we should go to Hooters that evening for dinner as when else do we get the chance to dine at such a historic landmark. She remarks something like "last thing I need is some young girl with big breasts in a tight tank top serving me all night."

Mrs. Shrmdougluvr then proceeds to use Tripadvisor to find Cooters, saying the locals really like it (disregarding that most Floridians are really rednecks). We walk over and are immediately greated by a girl in her early 20s, who was very well endowed, wearing a tight black tank top and short-shorts, who also waited on us. I didnt even have to say anything. :)

But now, whenever we go past a Hooters, or are in Florida in the Tampa Bay area, Cooters is inevitably mentioned.

Also, they forgot the Gator Nuggets we ordered.

It has been about 5 years for me but here are some thoughts...

John's Pass has a boardwalk, some restaurants and shops and is cool if you like that sort of stuff. This is a little south of the main part of the beach, if I remember right.

They have a good breakfast buffet at a place called SandPearl. My wife and I weren't staying there but we took a long walk on the beach, stumbled upon it and enjoyed it. Went back another day.

My son in law went on a charter fishing boat in Clearwater and had a great time. If you like to fish and want a thrill, this could be a good option.

Ha, Cooters.

I've been to Clearwater Beach three times now, each for a couple days at a time, usually after spending the first part of the week at Disney. We stay at the Hyatt. We always rent a car then drive over, then fly home from Tampa.

So the first time going out, we drive past the original Hooters going through Clearwater. I jokingly suggest to my wife (sons are like 7 and 4 at the time) that we should go to Hooters that evening for dinner as when else do we get the chance to dine at such a historic landmark. She remarks something like "last thing I need is some young girl with big breasts in a tight tank top serving me all night."

Mrs. Shrmdougluvr then proceeds to use Tripadvisor to find Cooters, saying the locals really like it (disregarding that most Floridians are really rednecks). We walk over and are immediately greated by a girl in her early 20s, who was very well endowed, wearing a tight black tank top and short-shorts, who also waited on us. I didnt even have to say anything. :)

But now, whenever we go past a Hooters, or are in Florida in the Tampa Bay area, Cooters is inevitably mentioned.

Also, they forgot the Gator Nuggets we ordered.
That's a good day.

Place had the best happy hour around. Something like $1.25 beers and maybe 60 cent wings, oysters or shrimp. I'd drive over on Saturdays and order 5 beers, wings & oysters and watch college football for a couple hours and leave for under 20 bucks.

Looks like it's now called Coco's North and happy hour still looks decent enough. M-F 11-6 with $3 beers, 75 cent shrimp and $1 wings and oysters. Not likely to beat that in the middle of a tourist destination.

Funny. I’m in Destin right now.
Red Bar in Grayton Beach is my wife's favorite restaurant around. She worships their Panne Chicken. Blackened Grouper was always my order. Place burnt down like 5 years ago and think the community helped build it back up. We haven't been back since but if it's anything like it was previously, it's worth the 20 mile drive down 98.

Thanks for the feedback. That helps.

Planning on uber from the airport not renting a car

Is the closest place to get groceries really publix off the causeway? That seems nuts. I don’t feel like buying hotel store water once you drink the two comps

And if you bring a cooler to the beach any problem with beer in the cooler?

Is the closest place to get groceries really publix off the causeway? That seems nuts. I don’t feel like buying hotel store water once you drink the two comps

I don't know what's closest or what airport you are coming into, but the drive from Tampa International Airport to Clearwater Beach is actually pretty substantial and busy and Route 60 through Clearwater has a lot of retail right off of it including grocery and drug stores.
As for Top 5s, most restaurants are grouper centric so those Frenchy's that chugg21 mentioned are lackluster but fine. The Shrmdougluvrs are kinda beach bums so we mostly just rent chairs and umbrellas and hang out on the beach. Surf Style is a good place to get beach gear and cheap sweatshirts and stuff.

The one thing we did that was super fun with the boys was this Captain Memo's Pirate Cruise | Clearwater Beach Florida | Family Fun Cruise .

My partner recommended it to me. I thought it would be super lame but we had a great time. One of my favorite vacation memories ever, in all honesty.

I don't recall any issues with having beers in a cooler next to you. That drive does take anywhere from 35 mins to an hour depending on time of day but as you make it and near Clearwater proper you'll go buy a few grocery stores. I can definitely picture one Publix that'll be on your left that's on the main strip you'll be going down. I can't picture any grocery stores on Clearwater Beach but there's likely something. There's definitely a Walgreens that is right on the bay near where Cooters was/Coco's is.

my elderly in laws lived in tampa/st pete and i always had to drive them "clear out to clearwater " cuz they preferred the SAM SELTZERS there better than the tampa one.
as for memory lane i can still remember the old KAPOK TREE INN in the 60's. my gramps was in new port richey and that was always our one special night out as kids.

Last edited:

Technically you are not allowed to have alcohol on the beach, but I have never had any trouble with putting it in a yeti or cup.

The most unusual bar I’ve ever seen is Mahuffers in Indian Shores. Fun place to have a couple of beers. It’s the right place to recommend to your best friend or your worst enemy. A must see if you’re in the area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JYCUSE12

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom