Joe Girard. Love him or hate him, he had a pretty good career | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Joe Girard. Love him or hate him, he had a pretty good career

I didn't hate Joe and thought he was more a combo guard than a point or shooting guard. He also would have thrived coming off the bench if we had a good deep team with legit point guards while he was here. I do wish that he came to play in the same shape and excellent conditioning that he was in at Clemson. He definitely should be able to play overseas, but a job at Siena, if there are any openings left, would get him started on the road to coaching.

Unfortunate for Joe that he was a recruit & player for the final years of JB that now looking back was one of his worst 4 year stretches as a coach.

If Joe was around at a different time, he would be talked about much differently around here. However he was forced into a tough spot and did everything he could. It's good for the player that he found success in his final year, just a shame it didn't happen here.

I didn't hate Joe and thought he was more a combo guard than a point or shooting guard. He also would have thrived coming off the bench if we had a good deep team with legit point guards while he was here. I do wish that he came to play in the same shape and excellent conditioning that he was in at Clemson. He definitely should be able to play overseas, but a job at Siena, if there are any openings left, would get him started on the road to coaching.
Is the improved conditioning due to Joe or perhaps Clemson's S&C program?

Is the improved conditioning due to Joe or perhaps Clemson's S&C program?

Go to the 2:30 mark of the video and he talks about being on a diet! Hahaha. There was also a Brad Brownell interview during their summer workout sessions in that warm South Carolina heat that he talks about having Joe get pushed more than in the past because they wanted him at a certain weight to be able to play man-to-man defense, and that was ultimately a 15 pound reduction.

Go to the 2:30 mark of the video and he talks about being on a diet! Hahaha. There was also a Brad Brownell interview during their summer workout sessions in that warm South Carolina heat that he talks about having Joe get pushed more than in the past because they wanted him at a certain weight to be able to play man-to-man defense, and that was ultimately a 15 pound reduction.
That’s all we were saying!!!

That’s all we were saying!!!
Calm Down Champions League GIF by Liverpool FC

I always thought of him as having to go to Europe to further his career, but maybe the G League?

Attachments

• IMG_4282.jpeg
    IMG_4282.jpeg
    383.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4283.jpeg
    IMG_4283.jpeg
    481.2 KB · Views: 61
Joe was definitely pushed into a role he wasn't suited for. If I remember correctly, he was a reserve at the start of his freshman year. He moved into the starting role quickly after Jalen Carey struggled. As others have said, if he was an off the bench combo guard/sniper for a year or more his development might have been very different.

Good for him. I think he's a lock for a summer league roster with 3 teams bringing him in. It'll give me some basketball to watch in July.

I wish Joe well. He's one of the few who transferred that I really care anything about. I'm glad he had a successful year at Clemson and it was the right decision for both parties. I do have to say though had our roster been better managed, he would have ended his career at Syracuse and received so much more respect from fans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom