Four BCS schools | Syracusefan.com

Four BCS schools

SWC75

Bored Historian
(per Brian Higgins on ESPN-Syracuse) ...have gotten no players out of the portal.

Army...Navy...Air Force and (Brian said "apparently our fourth service academy)...CLEMSON!

Can Dabo keep the Tigers elite without getting elite players out of the portal?

(per Brian Higgins on ESPN-Syracuse) ...have gotten no players out of the portal.

Army...Navy...Air Force and (Brian said "apparently our fourth service academy)...CLEMSON!

Probably depends on who they lose to the portal and their ability to recruit and retain highly ranked classes. Tough to continue though when your competitors are upgrading through the portal with more experienced players immediately on an ‘as needed’ basis.

That would make Clemson the Coast Guard?

Not that South Carolina has much of a coast to guard.

Not quite sure I understand Dabo’s approach here. He’s not helping Clemson by dying on that hill, just making his job more difficult.

I think Clemson lost 13 players to the portal. How is Dabo keeping a full roster?
I haven’t looked but I would guess most of the losses are kids wanting to see the field somewhere else and not guys they will miss too much. He’s just replacing them with more freshman instead of transfers. And when you can get elite recruits they should be ready fairly quickly.

I guess If they have a really good season this year maybe it works out and he can keep it going a bit longer. But I’m thinking it starts to fall apart soon as they are starting to have a streak of meh seasons in the grand scheme of things.

He won't survive - I think he built the program by cheating the old fashioned way and I don't think he wants to compete in the world where everyone can legally cheat.

Not quite sure I understand Dabo’s approach here. He’s not helping Clemson by dying on that hill, just making his job more difficult.
(Not saying I fully endorse his chosen path, but it is interesting and does seem to have some merits)
Dabo is zigging when everyone else zags. And who is to say it won't work?)
  • First of all, I see nothing that says that his players aren't cashing in on NIL (and if I am mistaken, just let me know).
  • And from my somewhat limited understanding, there are no longer limits on class size. So he can sign a freshman class of 50 if need be. Point is, CU/Dabo won't be down on bodies.
  • This will bring consistency/stability to his program that other programs will not have. At least not to the same degree.
  • He is going to be able to develop players and that, to me, is what is largely lost with the portal. This is likely his primary rationale.
  • Some HS recruits/families are going to be drawn to this, ... "hey, my son wants to go to a school for four years to complete and graduate (as opposed to attending three schools along the way and perhaps not graduating). He will earn his time and not be as beholden to the whims of a HC who might pull in a 5th-year player at his position from the West Coast..."
  • This is a team first/program first mindset. There is some risk, but not everyone is Deion. Some want to play college football, make some money, take a stab at getting better and positioning themselves for the NFL, and likely graduating.
  • His program is immediately distinct and that means something.
  • Not identical, but Kirby Smart is using the portal, but not in a cavalier fashion like most teams. I think they've tallied six transfers from the portal (that was with a quick check).

I can see what Dabo is trying to do. It can work. Just not sure if he will ever get back to national chip status. If he makes the playoffs he will be going agaisnt teams that have filled holes with top transfers. Hard to compete against that kind of depth.

(Not saying I fully endorse his chosen path, but it is interesting and does seem to have some merits)
Dabo is zigging when everyone else zags. And who is to say it won't work?)
  • First of all, I see nothing that says that his players aren't cashing in on NIL (and if I am mistaken, just let me know).
  • And from my somewhat limited understanding, there are no longer limits on class size. So he can sign a freshman class of 50 if need be. Point is, CU/Dabo won't be down on bodies.
  • This will bring consistency/stability to his program that other programs will not have. At least not to the same degree.
  • He is going to be able to develop players and that, to me, is what is largely lost with the portal. This is likely his primary rationale.
  • Some HS recruits/families are going to be drawn to this, ... "hey, my son wants to go to a school for four years to complete and graduate (as opposed to attending three schools along the way and perhaps not graduating). He will earn his time and not be as beholden to the whims of a HC who might pull in a 5th-year player at his position from the West Coast..."
  • This is a team first/program first mindset. There is some risk, but not everyone is Deion. Some want to play college football, make some money, take a stab at getting better and positioning themselves for the NFL, and likely graduating.
  • His program is immediately distinct and that means something.
  • Not identical, but Kirby Smart is using the portal, but not in a cavalier fashion like most teams. I think they've tallied six transfers from the portal (that was with a quick check).
Brian Kelly is taking a similar stance. He is not going to pay for transfers who are asking for the biggest bag. He wants to pay the guys he recruits and develops in the program. Reward them within his culture. That's not full proof either but I can see why he is taking that approach.

Last edited:

Short answer is “No”. Clemson is on the downswing now. How far will they fall depends on their next hire but their heyday is done.

Brian Kelly is taking a similer stand. He is not going to pay for transfers who are asking for the biggest bag. He wants to pay the guys he recruits and develops in the program. Reward them within his culture. That's not full proof either but I can see why he is taking that approach.

He decided that after Duce.

That would make Clemson the Coast Guard?

Not that South Carolina has much of a coast to guard.
Less Coast to guard = More time to practice football

Q1bEAj.gif

I assumed that's why he went there.
Nah there wasn’t a bidding war for Duce. Where he was demanding the largest bag.

Kelly is just taking a stance on the amount of NIL they will give a player that haven’t earned it in his program.

He’s going to be a TV analyst within three years at this rate.
Maybe that's what he wants secretly - to get out of this mess.