Class of 2020 - F Jyare Davis (DE) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/15/24) | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 F Jyare Davis (DE) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/15/24)

Dakota shouting him out...
Screenshot_20240415-203325_Instagram.jpg

You're next...

I really like what this kid brings to the table. For Red to get this talent to come without a definite starting position is impressive.
I feel like a lot of what he does isn't going to translate.

Watching his highlights, Davis looks really big. He bulls his way to success pretty frequently... But then you see that he's 6'7" 220. He isn't going to bull his way anywhere in the ACC.

He takes too many bad shots. I hate the off the dribble going backwards just inside the three point line prayers. He also isn't much of a shot e up shooter. Fortunately, he ain't be asked to take those shots at Syracuse.

Davis has decent handle, especial for a guy his size, but nothing spectacular. He didn't get usually get all the way to the basket. Instead he turns and backs his guy... Kind of reminded me of Billy Edelin with his below the basket over the shoulder dribble drive post up moves.

He sets a good pick, and receives the ball ready to score.

He is a pretty good passer, and in lesser leagues where he commanded a double team, he was good at finding the cutter to the basket. He ain't command double teams in the ACC.

I wonder if he'll be able to rebound in the ACC. I wonder if he'll be able to score.

I'm glad he's coming as a backup, because we didn't have one at all. He's still not really a PF in the ACC, imo.

Davis isn't going to replace Brown, maybe not even Carey, but he's better than nothing.

Watching his highlights, Davis looks really big. He bulls his way to success pretty frequently... But then you see that he's 6'7" 220. He isn't going to bull his way anywhere in the ACC.

He takes too many bad shots. I hate the off the dribble going backwards just inside the three point line prayers. He also isn't much of a shot e up shooter. Fortunately, he ain't be asked to take those shots at Syracuse.

Davis has decent handle, especial for a guy his size, but nothing spectacular. He didn't get usually get all the way to the basket. Instead he turns and backs his guy... Kind of reminded me of Billy Edelin with his below the basket over the shoulder dribble drive post up moves.

He is a pretty good passer, and in lesser leagues where he commanded a double team, he was good at finding the cutter to the basket. He ain't command double teams in the ACC.

I wonder if he'll be able to rebound in the ACC. I wonder if he'll be able to score.

I'm glad he's coming as a backup, because we didn't have one at all. He's still not really a PF in the ACC, imo.

Davis isn't going to replace Brown, maybe not even Carey, but he's better than nothing.
I agree with a lot of what you’re saying, and I think for us he becomes more of a glue guy than a go-to guy like at Delaware.

Where he can help us is hitting open mid range jumpers, grabbing rebounds, defending wings and doing dirty work in the paint.

If we throw him the ball and ask him to get us a bucket like a few of these highlights, that’s a misuse of his skills in the ACC.

Respectfully disagree.

High praise indeed.

Oh I disagree. I see Jayden Gardner from UVA a couple years ago. He transferred in from a slightly better league, but similar game and body type

does anyone think that having these fifth year guys in the locker room will encourage the new guys to simply portal and get your bag each year? I feel like no team will ever have three year starters, forget four….or first year bench guys who would start on the same team as starters.

Note, no coffee yet so it’s possible this post only makes sense to me

Jyare speaks:

“I think it’s the perfect blend of things that I wanted when I entered the portal,” Davis quoted in a story on 247sports.com. “There are a lot of guys that enter the portal to chase money and all of that but I wanted to chase a bigger stage, an opportunity to continue (to) prove myself as a basketball player and all of those things were provided by coach Red at Syracuse.”

For those keeping track here. Davis essentially fills the role we wanted Maliq to play next year. Solid backup 4…emergency 5.
Then I see why Maliq left.

does anyone think that having these fifth year guys in the locker room will encourage the new guys to simply portal and get your bag each year? I feel like no team will ever have three year starters, forget four….or first year bench guys who would start on the same team as starters.

Note, no coffee yet so it’s possible this post only makes sense to me
Has nothing to do with fifth year guys, the portal is not a secret. Getting your bag each year is the new norm.