2025 Transfer Thread | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

2025 Transfer Thread

Maryland I think loses leading scorers 4-8 on their squad, but should return Erksa, Spanos and Malever (three leading scorers). Obviously a lot of angst about the offensive production of the Terps this year. They did bring in Griffin King from Brown last year who didn't play, so sometimes with transfers you don't really know. Maryland does bring in a three top 50 offensive recruits including #5 Spencer Ford. Wonder if they go for a youth movement.

I think that Murphy technically has another year of eligibility left, but I have doubts about him returning.
The Terps look alright at attack with Erksa and Malever returning. Ford could step into Maltz's spot or Spanos could move there from the midfield. Spanos is the only established scorer returning on the midfield, although Whittier, who has only scored 4 points this year but scored 20 pts last year, also returns.
So obviously, Tillman will be looking for some experienced midfielders on the transfer portal, but there also might be a bit of a youth movement on the midfield.

Last edited:
This kid can play. He is gonna be underrated like Logan McGovern was coming from Bryant. He can play midfield / attack and can dodge plus great stick skills. He's extremely athletic and would be a nice veteran add.

This kid can play. He is gonna be underrated like Logan McGovern was coming from Bryant. He can play midfield / attack and can dodge plus great stick skills. He's extremely athletic and would be a nice veteran add.

SU is likely to be in the market for 1 or 2 more portal adds. I don't expect anywhere near the # we saw last year but an O player and a potential ssdm will be potential adds. A backup fogo is a possibility as well but I think that's less likely. Obviously they already added a potential high end pole, don't think we'll see anymore l.

Oh and he's a lot more athletic and bigger then McGovern. Wouldn't mind SU adding him to replace Stevens on offense. 101 pts for a midfielder is pretty damn good.

Oh and he's a lot more athletic and bigger then McGovern. Wouldn't mind SU adding him to replace Stevens on offense. 101 pts for a midfielder is pretty damn good.

I believe they are still pursuing Hackler. Had heard he was someone they were likely to make a priority, though as I noted previously the competition will be significant for his services.

I believe they are still pursuing Hackler. Had heard he was someone they were likely to make a priority, though as I noted previously the competition will be significant for his services.
Would love Hackler. Would be a huge much needed addition

Rosa will be back next yr but he's better suited as a 3rd or 4th shorty. Need a 2nd to go with Rice. That's what this team lacks this yr. We have plenty of 3 or 4 types but not that top guy to run with Rice in crunch time. That needs to be a high priority in the portal.

SU is likely to be in the market for 1 or 2 more portal adds. I don't expect anywhere near the # we saw last year but an O player and a potential ssdm will be potential adds. A backup fogo is a possibility as well but I think that's less likely. Obviously they already added a potential high end pole, don't think we'll see anymore l.
What position do we expect to see Donny Scott play. I know we had thoughts he could go shorty but curious if he’s staying long pole at close ?
I don’t believe I heard anyone mention. Him getting in this year….or is he still rehabbing?

What position do we expect to see Donny Scott play. I know we had thoughts he could go shorty but curious if he’s staying long pole at close ?
I don’t believe I heard anyone mention. Him getting in this year….or is he still rehabbing?
That's a great great question. With his box experience he is comfortable with a short stick and may be a candidate at SSDM.

Blew his knee out last summer, he redshirted. Not sure what the plan is for him right now. Could be close could be lsm or even SSDM. Lot of options for the staff.

Rosa will be back next yr but he's better suited as a 3rd or 4th shorty. Need a 2nd to go with Rice. That's what this team lacks this yr. We have plenty of 3 or 4 types but not that top guy to run with Rice in crunch time. That needs to be a high priority in the portal.
Is Rosa planning on playing next year?

Blew his knee out last summer, he redshirted. Not sure what the plan is for him right now. Could be close could be lsm or even SSDM. Lot of options for the staff.

IMG_4738.gif

Is Rosa planning on playing next year?

I believe the plan is that he will look to return but obviously things can change. There was some rumblings last year about him looking to play with his brother but I doubt he would transfer to Hobart with the mess that's going on up there and he clearly has a path to PT next year here.

Just for conversations sake, I'd prioritize the following positions -

1. SSDM - This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. I thought this was the weakest position group coming into the season, and it didn't help that SU lost two rotation players early in the season (Max Rosa and Landon Clary). Rice has been a revelation this year, but it's a steep drop off to the second guy. Fingers crossed that Patrick Hackler decides to come home. That would give SU an excellent starting duo. I honestly would like SU to bring in two or three guys here, but not sure if that's possible.

It seems like a couple of SSDMs have already committed to other schools already, like Monfrett from Yale to Hopkins, and a couple of Princeton players. Perhaps someone comes back next year with Carter Rice-like improvement, but that seems like a big ask. Also I don't see anyone in the freshman class as a potential SSDM. Like others have stated, perhaps Donny Scott makes the transition, and hopefully Rosa comes back. Still, there is a big hole on the roster that needs to be filled.

2. Offensive "weapon" - prior to this weekend I would have said dodging attackman, but it seems as though if need be, Michael Leo could make the transition to attack next year. I still think someone needs to come in and replace Jake Stevens' dodging. That could be a player already on the roster - perhaps Wyatt Hottle moves back to offense or Tucker Kellogg makes a sophomore leap. Matt McIntee has been putting up good numbers for East Islip and will be a power 100 recruit. I'm already assuming that Payton Anderson grabs some sort of top six position on offense, but it's clear that SU needs one more guy who can take his defender to the rack.

Offense has the potential to be very good next year, but it feels like adding one more top level guy could really take things to the next level. I like Trey Deere, but I'm hoping he can hold on for one more year and replace Owen Hiltz when the Canadian graduates. We've seen how the offense can struggle when the third attackman on the field has a hard time dodging.

3. Long Stick Midfielder - This issue might have already been solved by bringing in Mike Grace, but this position still lacks some depth. Perhaps the coaches are okay with Dylan Sageder returning as a backup, perhaps Tommy Drago comes back to man the position this year. But SU is still losing their top two LSMs, and with Matt Wright being out their third string guy in Steven Schmitt will also be moving on next year. SU doesn't bring in any LSMs in their next recruiting class. Perhaps Scott makes the move here. If not for Grace, I would have moved this position up to the second position. I thought Pace Billings from Princeton could be an answer here, but he's off to Michigan. At least publicly it doesn't look like there are any other LSMs in the portal.

4. Goalie - This position could be labeled, "unknown" since this really comes down to how the coaches view Jimmy McCool. If they are not sold on the former Five Star recruit, then this position becomes a big need and probably vaults up to number one. With Luke Staudt, a proven local boy in the portal already, I have to imagine the coaches are at least going to kick the tires. I've already written a lot about how I am in favor of bringing in Staudt so I won't repeat myself, but I think it would be worth doing.

5. Backup FOGO - Obviously if Mason Kohn decides to move onto law school next year, John Mullen is the starter for next year's team, and there is plenty to be excited about there, especially after the Towson game. But I think it would be helpful to have a proven backup, as we've seen how well things work with two high level guys. That said it's probably quite difficult to convince a transfer to come in as a backup. Virginia was able to bring in three different FOGOs last offseason, but I'm not sure how replicable that is. Nick Ramsey, a player with starting experience for Yale (career 55% winning percentage) is in the portal.

Unless there are surprise deflections from next years team, I think close defense should be a source of strength next year. The above looks like a long shopping list, but all things considered, I think SSDM is really the only position that screams out "must address". There are lots of considerations to balance - you can't just bring in guys for the sake of bringing them in. That said, if SU can add a few high level pieces, they should really be in good shape next year. The Orange brought in the best transfer class last year, but they obviously had a lot of holes to fill. This year they can approach the portal from a position of strength still, as they should be a top contender next year.

Official -

Is Krieg gone or does he have a covid year left? It's always hard to tell.

Also, amazing to me that someone would transfer into a team that lost 5/6 down the stretch and has made the playoffs once in the past 7 seasons. I realize they're a powerhouse program with incredible facilities, Nike $$$ and a great campus with excellent academics, but something just seems to be going on with Breschi (and Petro).

They lost to High Point to start the 0-5 skid. I think if Cuse lost to LeMoyne fans would burn the Dome to the ground;)

Is Krieg gone or does he have a covid year left? It's always hard to tell.

Also, amazing to me that someone would transfer into a team that lost 5/6 down the stretch and has made the playoffs once in the past 7 seasons. I realize they're a powerhouse program with incredible facilities, Nike $$$ and a great campus with excellent academics, but something just seems to be going on with Breschi (and Petro).

They lost to High Point to start the 0-5 skid. I think if Cuse lost to LeMoyne fans would burn the Dome to the ground;)

Kreig is out of eligibility. Getting Gianforcaro is a really good pick up, UNC clearly going for it next year in what is likely Breschi's last real shot to get it together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom