2024 - Portal Tracker | Page 75 | Syracusefan.com

2024 - Portal Tracker

The Lampkin grade was best on the assumption Cuse defense functions best with a big-time rim protector (unclear since we've only had one Autry season).
I kind of took that as whoever that guy is probably still assumes we still play the zone as our base defense and maybe doesn’t realize it’s mostly M2M now. Which would certainly change how you’d evaluate lampkin as a fit

Considered creating a new post for this, but ultimately decided to just throw it in here. One of the guys from The Score (not the best media source but they pretty much always come up in google searches) went through the effort of grading and writing short notes on every single transfer as well as grading the teams for their overall transfer net activity.

Syracuse got a B- and was ranked 231st for the transfer net activity.
  • Jaquan Carlos: B+ - compared Jaquan to the Minnesota transfer PG that we all liked and said Jaquan will likely be a big reason for our offense being good next season.
  • Jyare Davis: C+ - basically just said he isn't a needle mover.
  • Eddie Lampkin: C - said that we might be a bad team next season and Eddie's rim protection would be a reason why.
Grades for our exports:
  • Quadir Copeland: A+ - Said he may be the best player to ever play in McNeese's conference and is a 3 pointer away from being in the NBA.
  • Maliq Brown: A- - Said Duke needed a role player next to Flagg and Maliq is the kind of low usage, high effectiveness forward that should be a great fit.
  • Justin Taylor: A- - Said his jumpshot passes the eye test and he shot it well and defended well as a freshman; just have to hope he gets back to that.
  • Benny Williams: B - Length and activity on the defensive end should help them. Offense probably will not.
  • Peter Carey: B - Said he obviously needed a step down in competition but this is a worthy gamble for Siena based on his pedigree as a prospect.
Might be the most ridiculous ratings I have seen. Taylor is a A-? Carey is a B but Lampkin is a C? There isn't a coach in the country that would take Carey over Lampkin at this point. Benny is a B? I have no idea what Carlos, Davis and Lampkin will do in a Syracuse Uniform this year. But I saw what the guys that we are losing did.

I kind of took that as whoever that guy is probably still assumes we still play the zone as our base defense and maybe doesn’t realize it’s mostly M2M now. Which would certainly change how you’d evaluate lampkin as a fit
Exactly. Probably a flawed assumption.

Might be the most ridiculous ratings I have seen. Taylor is a A-? Carey is a B but Lampkin is a C? There isn't a coach in the country that would take Carey over Lampkin at this point. Benny is a B? I have no idea what Carlos, Davis and Lampkin will do in a Syracuse Uniform this year. But I saw what the guys that we are losing did.
These rankings are relative to fit at the new destination, not the overall grade of the player. As in, Carey dropping down a level would be a "B" grade for him at Siena, not in comparison to Lampkin as a player. They are skeptical of the guys SU brought in competing at this level.

Yes, this guy appears to have never seen any of the players he attempted to rate actually play basketball. I am not sure if he even bothered to look at statistics. His ratings are inexplicably inconsistent and nonsensical.

That said, I am glad people like this have an outlet and feel productive. Everyone deserves a chance.

Last edited:
These rankings are relative to fit at the new destination, not the overall grade of the player. As in, Carey dropping down a level would be a "B" grade for him at Siena, not in comparison to Lampkin as a player. They are skeptical of the guys SU brought in competing at this level.

That was my interpretation as well.

If Lampkin transferred to Siena it would be graded A+ for them to get a guy that would immediately be one of the best players in their league. Lampkin being added to a P6 doesn’t have the same level of impact, so, a lower grade.

I can only hope AI like ChatGPT replaces these blowhard morons.
Or at least starves them of the funding required to operate their Google Docs analysis "service."

Yes, this guy appears to have never seen any of the players he attempted to rate actually play basketball. I am not sure if he even bothered to look at statistics. His ratings are inexplicably inconsistent and nonsensical.

That said, I am glad people like this have an outlet and are feel productive. Everyone deserves a chance.
I love his hot take of JT's shot.

Copeland is underrated by our fanbase. He has lots of potential and if it clicks he'll be a very good player.
How is Q underrated by our fan base? He was a fan favorite! Rumors about his bad behavior are concerning. But everyone who’s watched him knows what a high ceiling Copeland has (great vision and passing and incredible athleticism) if he can learn to play under control and make the smart play, check his ego and be a team player. We don’t need some GenZ turd with a google spreadsheet to tell us that.

That was my interpretation as well.

If Lampkin transferred to Siena it would be graded A+ for them to get a guy that would immediately be one of the best players in their league. Lampkin being added to a P6 doesn’t have the same level of impact, so, a lower grade.

Exactly, it's all relative fit.

Also speaks to how much work it is to assign a player grade & description to every portal player based on their new school. This wasn't 'thrown together.'

This pointy headed nerd with a google spreadsheet based his ratings on what the player added to the team based on the level of the team. So JT and Q are good additions, in his opinion, to their level of mid major. And Lampkin and Davis aren’t great additions for Cuse. Who knows. He sucks.

Which is funny because Lampkin played for P5 programs that made the tournament the past two years.

How do they keep getting guys upon guys while we're not allowed to get another frontcourt player to keep Lampkin happy and cant get anyone to compete with a Hofstra transfer lol
They have plenty of cash. Look at the top HS kids they got for years to years, that's how they got most of these kids to Duke and of course the NCAA would never consider Coach Ratface dirty.

They have plenty of cash. Look at the top HS kids they got for years to years, that's how they got most of these kids to Duke and of course the NCAA would never consider Coach Ratface dirty.
I think it's more than cash.
It's also cachet.
Hey as much as I'm an SU grad, I still see Duke in a academic positive light (even though their alumni are all ).

Their second 5 is better than our first 5, this excuse isn't playing.

Their second 5 is better than our first 5, this excuse isn't playing.

Scheyer is probably the best recruiter in college hoops right now. The kids love playing for him. Duke isn’t immune to all the transfer activity of course but can still bring kids in, in droves.

Besides the $$ have to figure he has tapped into the idea of you sell these kids on a chance to make their mark at Duke and compete while getting paid or being highly coveted as a “ free agent” in the portal if they feel they want a different opportunity. Something a program like Duke can sell where few others can. Just a guess but maybe something along those lines…

Scheyer is probably the best recruiter in college hoops right now. The kids love playing for him. Duke isn’t immune to all the transfer activity of course but can still bring kids in, in droves.

Besides the $$ have to figure he has tapped into the idea of you sell these kids on a chance to make their mark at Duke and compete while getting paid or being highly coveted as a “ free agent” in the portal if they feel they want a different opportunity. Something a program like Duke can sell where few others can. Just a guess but maybe something along those lines…
Then Red isn't the guy for the job if we cant compete with Scheyer's second team.

How is Q underrated by our fan base? He was a fan favorite! Rumors about his bad behavior are concerning. But everyone who’s watched him knows what a high ceiling Copeland has (great vision and passing and incredible athleticism) if he can learn to play under control and make the smart play, check his ego and be a team player. We don’t need some GenZ turd with a google spreadsheet to tell us that.
Agreed. I have no doubt Q will put up huge numbers at McNeese St. But I wonder if it will be good for his development? I think he's skilled enough that the only way he will get better, or more consistent, is to be challenged. He won't be challenged there.

Then Red isn't the guy for the job if we cant compete with Scheyer's second team.

I don’t think his second team is better than our starters. On paper because it’s highly ranked freshmen who maybe but I’d take a wager on that game. My point is if they can throw money at guys and get them to come even if it’s very possible they don’t play ( even if talented) then good for them. That’s a handful of teams that can do that and that’s not sustainable. It’s basically a hybrid strategy to what Cal was doing at UK.

Red has to prove he can win whether that’s fair or not - it has to happen with the cast he puts together this year and then we need to be higher on the NIL food chain to pair winning with $$.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom