Class of 2021 - QB Xavier Williams (GA) Portal from Charlotte to UCF | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 QB Xavier Williams (GA) Portal from Charlotte to UCF

P5 experience as a freshman. Lamson's last competitive action was in 2019. His junior year in HS. What makes Lamson the better 3rd string QB?
He played 2 quarters against Maryland, and got pulled because he became ineffective. I'm sure he's probably a better athlete/dual threat qb than Justin. I'm also sure, Justin's arm strength and accuracy are far superior. Morgan has far more live-game experience than Lamson as well, but was clearly behind Justin. Look, we need qbs on the roster; I'm fine with adding this kid. Pitt has 7, SEVEN, qbs on their roster. Including 3 or more, 4+ stars.

He played 2 quarters against Maryland, and got pulled because he became ineffective. I'm sure he's probably a better athlete/dual threat qb than Justin. I'm also sure, Justin's arm strength and accuracy are far superior. Morgan has far more live-game experience than Lamson as well, but was clearly behind Justin. Look, we need qbs on the roster; I'm fine with adding this kid. Pitt has 7, SEVEN, qbs on their roster. Including 3 or more, 4+ stars.
Offer one of the pitt kids 10k

Let's add some context to all of that. Xavier had never started a game and he was playing against UMD. He's still young to the position overall, going back to HS. So to not throw an INT against UMD or his next game (against William Mary but I forget now), is pretty impressive. Charlotte wanted to get both 3rd and 4th string QB's game action since QB1 and QB2 were out with injuries. Charlotte's defense was atrocious last year, so the score is more indicative of how bad the Charlotte defense was than how good/bad Xavier played. He didn't get pulled, in the context that you frame it. Charlotte was never going to win the game and the coaches had always intended to get both QB's in because of injuries to their starters because Xavier and the other QB need live game reps.

I’d like to watch the game if it exists. Didn’t look for it. I will if he commits. Sort of funny though to say a quarterback from Charlotte was pulled for being ineffective against Maryland. The score was 56 to 21. I’m sure every kid on Charlotte was ineffective it’s a bit of a mismatch no? It’s reflective of the whole team.

Williams is 6-2 200. So he has size. You can see he has a great arm and good pocket awareness. Runs a similar offense. Comes from a 6A Georgia high school program that’s off the beaten path north of Tallahassee.

You never know what you’re going to get with a quarterback from the south they play highly competitive football, in advanced systems and they play a lot of football.

Last edited:
Let's add some context to all of that. Xavier had never started a game and he was playing against UMD. He's still young to the position overall, going back to HS. So to not throw an INT against UMD or his next game (against William Mary but I forget now), is pretty impressive. Charlotte wanted to get both 3rd and 4th string QB's game action since QB1 and QB2 were out with injuries. Charlotte's defense was atrocious last year, so the score is more indicative of how bad the Charlotte defense was than how good/bad Xavier played. He didn't get pulled, in the context that you frame it. Charlotte was never going to win the game and the coaches had always intended to get both QB's in because of injuries to their starters because Xavier and the other QB need live game reps.
I’d like to watch the game if it exists. Didn’t look for it. I will if he commits. Sort of funny, though to say, a quarterback from Charlotte was pulled for being ineffective against Maryland. The score was 56 to 21. I’m sure every kid on Charlotte was ineffective. But of a mismatch no?

Williams is 6-2 200. So he has size. You can see he has a great arm and good pocket awareness. Runs a similar offense. Comes from a 6A Georgia high school program that’s off the beaten path north of Tallahassee.

You never know what you’re going to get with a quarterback from the south they play highly competitive football in advanced systems and they play a lot of football.
You guys make it sound like I'm blaming this kid for not being Lamar Jackson.

No but you’re making blanket statement’s and being overly critical when you don’t know anything about him, not to mention Lamson has never seen live college action.
I actually went onto his Twitter, and saw a clip of his throwing motion. All I will say is, it's not the best that I've seen.

Every fan base does it, for right or wrong.
Meh. I don’t agree with that. I think you’re overstating it. Many do. Not all. I’ve never once booed my own team. I’ve booed refs. The opposition. The opposing coach. I’ve even booed another team’s mascot once or twice. But not my own team. That’s just illogical on every level.

I’m not saying Williams P5 experience automatically make him better I’m saying don’t assume Lamson is better when you haven’t seen him play against the same level of competition. I’m sure Williams would look good against SU back ups as well since he’s had to play against P5 starters in a real game.

Not sure what you are seeing. Carlos arm strength is better. Besides that there are a lot of strong arm, accurate QB’s that don’t play. It doesn’t make you the better QB. Those are good attributes to have but are so many other things that determines good QB play. Morgan played by default. McPhail passed him up as well.

I’m not saying Williams P5 experience automatically make him better I’m saying don’t assume Lamson is better when you haven’t seen him play against the same level of competition. I’m sure Williams would look good against SU back ups as well since he’s had to play against P5 starters in a real game.

Not sure what you are seeing. Carlos arm strength is better. Besides that there are a lot of strong arm, accurate QB’s that don’t play. It doesn’t make you the better QB. Those are good attributes to have but are so many other things that determines good QB play. Morgan played by default. McPhail passed him up as well.
I just think Lamson has a very high ceiling. He can consistently hit deep passes with accuracy(yes, only seen it in the Spring, but...)
I caught a glimpse of this kid's throwing motion on one of his Twitter posts; it's the absolute worst type of throwing motion that I like to see from a qb. Who's to say he even comes here; think it's desperation mode for us, because we don't even have enough arms to run a practice right now.

This Lamson argument is wild. He wasn't chopped liver at the high school level given his offers albeit late in the process. He just ended up at a school where he wasn't going to play barring injuries.

This Lamson argument is wild. He wasn't chopped liver at the high school level given his offers albeit late in the process. He just ended up at a school where he wasn't going to play barring injuries.
I don’t get how the latest flavor of the week obscure portal target is better than Lamson so I’m right there with you. Most of these recent recruits targeted to fill out this year’s roster have been pretty obscure JUCO’s or portal kids and if they managed to have another P5 opportunity they went there.

I just think Lamson has a very high ceiling. He can consistently hit deep passes with accuracy(yes, only seen it in the Spring, but...)
I caught a glimpse of this kid's throwing motion on one of his Twitter posts; it's the absolute worst type of throwing motion that I like to see from a qb. Who's to say he even comes here; think it's desperation mode for us, because we don't even have enough arms to run a practice right now.
How do you know he can consistently hit deep passes against legit P5 action? Last spring he hit two passes to wide open wr’s against an early enrolled CB. Throwing motion doesn’t determine how well you run a offense. You can get arms to come to SU but you don’t want to settle for any arm. You have juco or FCS guys as well. Try to get best ones that fit your system and are willing to compete for the position by next year.

I don’t get how the latest flavor of the week obscure portal target is better than Lamson so I’m right there with you.
Uh, because the potential of some portal guy is greater for us than Lamson being in the portal to leave us.

Uh, because the potential of some portal guy is greater for us than Lamson being in the portal to leave us.
Well obviously a tackling dummy is better than Lamson if he’s 100% gone. The point is the new flavor of the week is overvalued and the kid that is leaving is devalued based on the same flaws.

Well obviously a tackling dummy is better than Lamson if he’s 100% gone. The point is the new flavor of the week is overvalued and the kid that is leaving is devalued based on the same flaws.
The back up tackling dummy sometimes is even more popular.

Why wouldnt people talk about Williams? This is his thread. Plus there is real game action people can evaluate him on.

I know we offered but there is no guarantee this is who su eventually takes. Lots of players in the portal. DB usually keeps his cards close to the vest. Del Rio Wilson came out of no where. Same with some of our other recent transfers.
I figure we will really know more mid June.

Meh. I don’t agree with that. I think you’re overstating it. Many do. Not all. I’ve never once booed my own team. I’ve booed refs. The opposition. The opposing coach. I’ve even booed another team’s mascot once or twice. But not my own team. That’s just illogical on every level.

I think you’re understating it and you use the example of “you” to support it. I don’t know of a middle of the road program that if you look at their FB or BB board wouldn’t be indicative of what I said. I think this board is one of the more fair boards I’ve ever visited. There’s so very trashy boards out there for fan boards. Those people go to games.

I think you’re understating it and you use the example of “you” to support it. I don’t know of a middle of the road program that if you look at their FB or BB board wouldn’t be indicative of what I said. I think this board is one of the more fair boards I’ve ever visited. There’s so very trashy boards out there for fan boards. Those people go to games.
I have no doubt that many do. I don’t dispute that. But you said everyone does. So even one who doesn’t disproves the theory. But yes, it’s anecdotal. Of course anecdotes are just small size data.

I don’t. My wife doesn’t. My kids don’t. I’m not sure about my dog. He’s not very civilized.

I know we offered but there is no guarantee this is who su eventually takes.
This thinking is 180 degrees from the issue, which is who is willing to come to SU? It’s not a draft where you take players to fill a need and they have no option.

This thinking is 180 degrees from the issue, which is who is willing to come to SU? It’s not a draft where you take players to fill a need and they have no option.
It’s a two way street. We may offer but it’s not commitable or we offer and the player does not want to come to su. We have had two former four star qbs come from the portal recently. I remember some people on here saying we would never get a four star out of the portal. We may not be getting everyone we want but the coaches will work to get kids that fit the system to commit.

It’s a two way street. We may offer but it’s not commitable or we offer and the player does not want to come to su. We have had two former four star qbs come from the portal recently. I remember some people on here saying we would never get a four star out of the portal. We may not be getting everyone we want but the coaches will work to get kids that fit the system to commit.
They have to want to come here. There is no such thing (linguistically or legally) as an uncommittable offer. If you can’t accept, it’s not an offer. There may be conditional offers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom