Class of 2024 - NIL War Chest | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 NIL War Chest

Consigliere

Co 2020 Cali Award Winner, Record Thru 5 Games
Since it comes up in almost every thread, I thought I would start a separate one.

Why is there a popular belief that we can’t get very good talent because the NIL resources are not there?

Does anyone know how much OrangeUnited has pledged to men’s basketball?
Does anyone realize how much some very well off alumni have contributed and continue to contribute?
Does anyone know what Red feels he needs in NIL funding to compete in the ACC and how close we are to that level?
Has everyone complaining about our perceived lack of NIL funding made their contributions or are they just hoping for other people’s money to foot the bill?

I don’t personally have any of the answers to those questions, except the last one, but I believe I have more data than many who have expressed their views. From my perspective we have a strong base and are well within sight of where we would like to be.

And to close the small remaining gap we don’t need a lot of mega donors to step up. Grass roots efforts with modest donations from anyone with the means to do so would work just as well. Orange United subscription model starts at $10.99 / month and comes with some additional benefits. In the past, the SyraCRUZ tailgate NIL Initiative to which many of you have donated has made a difference, not with life changing money, but with a show of support that strengthens ties to the program and definitely enhances retention efforts. I trust SU will be judicious in directing the money raised through these efforts and get a strong return on our investment. Maybe not be poaching a star center from a conference rival but by exhibiting a culture that convinces a Donnie Freeman that committing to Cuse doesn’t come with a huge opportunity cost in potential income.

It took me less than a minute to sign up for Orange United and I raised it after Fran stole the rb from Pitt (f’in glorious).

Since it comes up in almost every thread, I thought I would start a separate one.

Why is there a popular belief that we can’t get very good talent because the NIL resources are not there?

Does anyone know how much OrangeUnited has pledged to men’s basketball?
Does anyone realize how much some very well off alumni have contributed and continue to contribute?
Does anyone know what Red feels he needs in NIL funding to compete in the ACC and how close we are to that level?
Has everyone complaining about our perceived lack of NIL funding made their contributions or are they just hoping for other people’s money to foot the bill?

I don’t personally have any of the answers to those questions, except the last one, but I believe I have more data than many who have expressed their views. From my perspective we have a strong base and are well within sight of where we would like to be.

And to close the small remaining gap we don’t need a lot of mega donors to step up. Grass roots efforts with modest donations from anyone with the means to do so would work just as well. Orange United subscription model starts at $10.99 / month and comes with some additional benefits. In the past, the SyraCRUZ tailgate NIL Initiative to which many of you have donated has made a difference, not with life changing money, but with a show of support that strengthens ties to the program and definitely enhances retention efforts. I trust SU will be judicious in directing the money raised through these efforts and get a strong return on our investment. Maybe not be poaching a star center from a conference rival but by exhibiting a culture that convinces a Donnie Freeman that committing to Cuse doesn’t come with a huge opportunity cost in potential income.
The last time I spoke to Mark Hayes of Orange United, he said they were targeting $2M-$2.5M for men's basketball for next season...

I have three hobbies that I spent into 5 figures on last year. That doesn’t include SU bball. I’m already 6K in on a hobby this year. I don’t live near Syracuse so I’m not buying tickets to help out. Seems pretty petty to me from that perspective. I don’t mean actual amount of $ (I get that everyone’s financial situation is different) I mean from a percentage of my income that I have budgeted as disposable/hoby/recreation. I can do more so I will.

The last time I spoke to Mark Hayes of Orange United, he said they were targeting $2M-$2.5M for men's basketball for next season...

Which is a great start as the OP said but it’s simply not enough to consistently compete at the top of the ACC and matter in March year in and year out. SU needs to do better, The Collectives need to do better, I need to do better. I have complete control over one of those three.

Which is a great start as the OP said but it’s simply not enough to consistently compete at the top of the ACC and matter in March year in and year out. SU needs to do better, The Collectives need to do better, I need to do better. I have complete control over one of those three.
And it’s also not the only NIL money being directed to men’s basketball. But if your preferred collective can raise enough to AVERAGE $200k per each player, you’re not in terrible shape.

How about a little forum challenge? We raise our individual recurring donations by a few bucks ( or more if you choose) for each in conference win? This is for basketball.

How about a little forum challenge? We raise our individual recurring donations by $10 (or more if you choose) for each in conference win? This is for basketball.
Love the idea. I should be finalizing an agreement with Orange United in the next week. Would be a great way to kick off the partnership!

Compared to other high-major programs, that is not enough. Fact.

Unless we get hometown discounts and the market adjusts, $3M-$4M is more the range.
I think part of the issue is that there are so many different collectives, most schools have only 1 collective and then they disperse the money accordingly depending on the sport.

Like yeah most schools aimed for $3M for bball, seems like we aimed for $2.5M.

Unless we get hometown discounts and the market adjusts, $3M-$4M is more the range.
Sounds like Hayes is out of the loop

Are you assuming Orange United is the only entity supporting Men’s Basketball? They are not. Fact.

I came to say that’s great we know how much we have, but that’s only part of the equation. If it’s less than our competitors then we’re behind.

And I don’t know how much our competitors (programs striving to be a top program) have, so we can only sit back and watch the recruiting battles for a few years and form our guesses as to how we’re doing.

Are you assuming Orange United is the only entity supporting Men’s Basketball? They are not. Fact.
I am not familiar with the others, as they aren’t promoted very well. So if the school is gathering that much ($3-4M) like other top schools then I retract. My point remains, we need to do better.

Does having more than one make it more confusing for potential donors?

Are they all "officially authorized" by SU?

Is there a logical reason we have more than one? How about the schools throwing around the big money. Are they set up differently for marketing for donations. Do they funnel things differently?

Does having more than one make it more confusing for potential donors?

Are they all "officially authorized" by SU?

Is there a logical reason we have more than one? How about the schools throwing around the big money. Are they set up differently for marketing for donations. Do they funnel things differently?
I purposely said entity rather than collective. For men’s basketball OrangeUnited is the only grass roots level public collective I am aware of. The first collective was the 315 Foundation but I don’t believe they are still soliciting donations focusing instead on their Elite NIL arm that matches businesses with athletes for high level one off type transactions. There are other small private groups involved and, through the INFLCR platform a channel that enables businesses and individual to transact with the players one on one. I know of at least a couple of these that have done high level (six figure) deals with Syracuse basketball players.
Football is different where, in addition to OrangeUnited we have Athletes who Care and Syracuse Football NIL all as recognized collectives, not to mention the SyraCRUZ Tailgate NIL Initiative .

These groups are all recognized by SU with Orange United being named the preferred NIL partner. I think they all take a slightly different approach but agree it can be confusing to the individual donor. I have suggested that SUAD publish a white paper outlining the groups, which sports they support and their individual missions as a way to help donors get involved and stress that NIL is not something that is successful solely through OPM - Other People’s Money. Hopefully that happens soon.

I am not familiar with the others, as they aren’t promoted very well. So if the school is gathering that much ($3-4M) like other top schools then I retract. My point remains, we need to do better.
More detail in my other response but they aren’t promoted because they are not designed as public collectives. If Orange United reaches its goal we are definitely in the $3 - $4MM range. But it is becoming an arms race as the top tier deals are skyrocketing particularly in basketball where one or two players can change the fortunes of a team.

I just watched the Spring game again.

My analogy

Ray Rice is to Syracuse as Yasin Willis is to Pitt

Cuse could possibly have two 1000 yard rushers this year (a stretch but possible)
That was my initial gut reaction but didn't want to go that far

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom