Duke Gameday... | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Duke Gameday...

You probably need to recalibrate what "being back is." No school will have a run like the one SU had through the 80's, 90's and 2000's. There's too much parity. And as far as recruiting, the school has built in disadvantages now that didnt exist previously.

On top of all of that you're never actually back after one year. You have to show consistency. We're still running mostly underclassmen out there against seniors and grad students. I think this year is a great sign of SU being in the upper tier of lacrosse again.
UVA had a run.
ND is poised for a run.
Teams have had runs in recent times. A couple NCs & a string of final 4s in 3-4 years time is a run.

The performance was abysmal.

How often have UVA or ND been down by 8 goals in any one game in the past 20 years?

This year is still to play out, but if poor seeding affects our ability to get past the quarters, how are you going to feel about that?

Cuse Lax, remember​

Head, Heart & Hustle is what wins games!!!​

IMG_7779.gif

Cuse Lax, remember​

Head, Heart & Hustle is what wins games!!!​

View attachment 240812
What happens if both teams have equal head, heart and hustle?
I've always laughed about with sports and these sort of things. Like, everyone on the football field holding up 4 fingers, or teams saying they know they will win close games because " no one works harder in the off-season".
These are just things coaches use to keep their teams motivated, but they only work for so long. HHH has been around so long, I feel it has no meaning to the players.

Just an awful performance. We are not back, yet. Not even close.

Reminds me of women's lax where it looks like we're there, but there are always a couple teams that can humble us.

Such stupid timing for these playoffs too & / or that big gap between the regular season end.

Will affect our seeding & hopefully does not wreck our confidence.
We are third in the country and finished second in the toughest conference.

We are very much back. We are not consistent.

UVA had a run.
ND is poised for a run.
Teams have had runs in recent times. A couple NCs & a string of final 4s in 3-4 years time is a run.

The performance was abysmal.

How often have UVA or ND been down by 8 goals in any one game in the past 20 years?

This year is still to play out, but if poor seeding affects our ability to get past the quarters, how are you going to feel about that?

We dropped from maybe a 2 to a likely 4. I think you would've signed up for that.

Also, Notre Dame, Duke and UVa have good amount of guys that if for not shutting down the season in 2020 would be selling annuities or commercial real estate now.

Just an awful performance. We are not back, yet. Not even close.

Reminds me of women's lax where it looks like we're there, but there are always a couple teams that can humble us.

Such stupid timing for these playoffs too & / or that big gap between the regular season end.

Will affect our seeding & hopefully does not wreck our confidence.
Everyone on the team failed last night -- the players and the coaches. Anyone who has watched the last few Duke games on TV knew that moving McAdorey to Attack was possible. Almost every announcer mentioned it. The coaches failed to take that into account and prepare the team.

But as far as being back -- we are back. At least the first big step back -- into the NCAA Tournament. The next step of being back is making the Final Four and then winning it all. It hasn't been pretty all year but we were 3 plays away from being 14-2 instead of 11-5. We'd all take either at the beginning of the season. Heck, many on here just wanted to win one ACC game and get into the ACC Tournament.

As far as seeding, we were #4 in the RPI going into the game last night and we remain at #4. Could we have moved up to #2 seed or #3 seed? Probably. But are we really going to nitpik as to whether we're back based on whether we're a #3 seed or a #4 seed? [Patrick Stevens thinks we'll be a #3 now anyway.]

To answer the question on the cover of Inside Lacrosse Magazine pre-season -- Hopkins and Syracuse -- are they back? The answer is YES.

Was there for both games yesterday...just ugh! Double Whammy! I despise ND and everything about that incredibly hypocritical institution.

If there's any positive I take away from this debacle of a performance, it is the allegiance and enthusiasm of the Syracuse fans. When we did have something to cheer about yesterday, our fans clearly were louder than any of the other schools there.

I've always laughed about with sports and these sort of things. Like, everyone on the football field holding up 4 fingers, or teams saying they know they will win close games because " no one works harder in the off-season".
These are just things coaches use to keep their teams motivated, but they only work for so long. HHH has been around so long, I feel it has no meaning to the players.

Well, the 'ol "we just missed shots" worked for a loooooong time. ;);)

UVA was down 8 goals yesterday.
How many
Everyone on the team failed last night -- the players and the coaches. Anyone who has watched the last few Duke games on TV knew that moving McAdorey to Attack was possible. Almost every announcer mentioned it. The coaches failed to take that into account and prepare the team.

But as far as being back -- we are back. At least the first big step back -- into the NCAA Tournament. The next step of being back is making the Final Four and then winning it all. It hasn't been pretty all year but we were 3 plays away from being 14-2 instead of 11-5. We'd all take either at the beginning of the season. Heck, many on here just wanted to win one ACC game and get into the ACC Tournament.

As far as seeding, we were #4 in the RPI going into the game last night and we remain at #4. Could we have moved up to #2 seed or #3 seed? Probably. But are we really going to nitpik as to whether we're back based on whether we're a #3 seed or a #4 seed? [Patrick Stevens thinks we'll be a #3 now anyway.]

To answer the question on the cover of Inside Lacrosse Magazine pre-season -- Hopkins and Syracuse -- are they back? The answer is YES.
We're not 'back' until we reach the final 4.

I didn't like the decision to pull Mark in the 1st quarter. And, by the way, Gait and the game announcers got the numbers wrong - Mark gave up 8 goals with 1 save - 9th goal was on McCool.

Duke's shooting was razor sharp and our D was anything but. You can always debate whether you pull the goalie to protect his confidence or just change things up because he may not be "seeing" the ball well. Given the profile of the game and Mark's contribution to the team which has been acknowledged by ACC coaches, media etc., it seems disrespectful to yank him early. To pick a sore spot for some, Spallina was struggling in some big games earlier in the season - no discussion of pulling him. Gait's comments on Mark were less supportive of Mark than what you would be hearing from other coaches such as Tiffany, Corrigan etc. - they would be saying Mark is a great goalie and we will be counting on him to carry us through the playoffs etc.

Mark has had a lot of praise and accolades since he's been here so no need for tears. From what I've seen , Cuse best players tend to get more praise when things are good and more criticism when bad. Such is the life of a goalie for Cuse - high risk, high reward.

When noyh
When both have it then it comes to talent. Yesterday the first Q I don't think the defense or face off unit played with HHH at all.

I didn't like the decision to pull Mark in the 1st quarter. And, by the way, Gait and the game announcers got the numbers wrong - Mark gave up 8 goals with 1 save - 9th goal was on McCool.

Duke's shooting was razor sharp and our D was anything but. You can always debate whether you pull the goalie to protect his confidence or just change things up because he may not be "seeing" the ball well. Given the profile of the game and Mark's contribution to the team which has been acknowledged by ACC coaches, media etc., it seems disrespectful to yank him early. To pick a sore spot for some, Spallina was struggling in some big games earlier in the season - no discussion of pulling him. Gait's comments on Mark were less supportive of Mark than what you would be hearing from other coaches such as Tiffany, Corrigan etc. - they would be saying Mark is a great goalie and we will be counting on him to carry us through the playoffs etc.

Mark has had a lot of praise and accolades since he's been here so no need for tears. From what I've seen , Cuse best players tend to get more praise when things are good and more criticism when bad. Such is the life of a goalie for Cuse - high risk, high reward.
I agree and said the same last night. Especially the game is not that important so let Mark work out of it like he has any other time he didn't see the ball well. This way he's going into the NCAA tournament feeling good not like crap. Guys have struggled on offense many times and not been yanked. After the Virginia game Gary said we finally got the save we needed to win the game. I was blown away I mean that is saying the OT loses were on Will Mark? A big reason those games went to OT was some ridiculous saves by Will. Will has shown he can come back late in games and make insane saves so why pull him so early? SU lost the first what 6 or so face offs again and the D got smoked especially Kol early. Not all on Mark. Hopefully he comes out ready in tournament which I'm sure he will but no reason to pull him so early. How about rip into ur defense and face off unit. Idk I agree with u tho

Gary always finds a scapegoat when his team loses instead of taking it on his own shoulders for not coming out ready last night. I'm a supporter of him and believe in him but that stuff does bother me some.

I agree and said the same last night. Especially the game is not that important so let Mark work out of it like he has any other time he didn't see the ball well. This way he's going into the NCAA tournament feeling good not like crap. Guys have struggled on offense many times and not been yanked. After the Virginia game Gary said we finally got the save we needed to win the game. I was blown away I mean that is saying the OT loses were on Will Mark? A big reason those games went to OT was some ridiculous saves by Will. Will has shown he can come back late in games and make insane saves so why pull him so early? SU lost the first what 6 or so face offs again and the D got smoked especially Kol early. Not all on Mark. Hopefully he comes out ready in tournament which I'm sure he will but no reason to pull him so early. How about rip into ur defense and face off unit. Idk I agree with u tho
All good points. Mark has had to play through games where the team has been inconsistent and sometimes just plain bad. Of course his stats have suffered in those games, just like his stats looked fantastic in the earlier game against Duke - clearly he played well but Duke shooting was bad.

But most goalies are mentally tough - they know they are usually the first to get pulled.

And there may be stuff behind the scenes that we don't know about - health issues, injuries etc.

All good points. Mark has had to play through games where the team has been inconsistent and sometimes just plain bad. Of course his stats have suffered in those games, just like his stats looked fantastic in the earlier game against Duke - clearly he played well but Duke shooting was bad.

But most goalies are mentally tough - they know they are usually the first to get pulled.

And there may be stuff behind the scenes that we don't know about - health issues, injuries etc.
Oh he will definitely rebound strong I just think he would have last night too if he stayed in.

wow. just watched the replay. 1st blow out loss of the season.

as the tragically hip would say
" it couldn't come at a worse time"

Not a goalie but have played it more than few times. But what have notice mark and mccool were both guessing alot n guessed wrong. Few goals players stick never dropped yet our goalies did just to be beat high. Also i don’t like when goalies try to save with buttend of stick instead turning hands over top trying get head on ball. Yes have to be fast doing so but would give more area to stop then such small one. Also mark does not step to ball at all always sits back never really explodes forward to ball. I know he’s sit in his ways and is hell of goalie but think would help him save few others if stepped toward ball. Also i don’t see it much guess so don’t get injured but when dude coming from behind or on side n gonna be right on top of you n just goalie n shooter wish our goalies at right times would just full out explode into shooter. Like come out of net to plow the guy. Most shooters would not expect that and if match stick as go for hit or time it right prob not get shot off or will least not go in net. I say this as i’ve been blown up more then few times by goalie doing this as wasn’t expecting it. Instead just staying n trying to read fakes their gonna thru or whatever once get close enough just go at them. I don’t know either way goalies weren’t seeing ball well few those goals were weak but overall defense didn’t help.

The o’neil sweep goal had to see that coming if dwan as o’neil is known for sweeping across for that top shot and barely uses his right hand. Felt like dwan was playing roll back so wasn’t staying with him all way n o’neil had hands free. Also don’t think gg called first timeout till was what 5-0 or something. Kol also needs to learn how to stay home. When he is covering inside shooters you can’t give them an inch that’s all they need, have to be on them at all times. We didn’t play aggressive enough early on let duke do what they wanted and with ease. Then when did it within 3 the poor shots n turnovers came n that was end. The simple pass on clear to mulé who missed it n went out was horrid. Again guys trying to run thru double or triple teams instead pulling out finding open man or just moving it. Glad schmitch or whatever got time he had some nice gbs n hope gets some more time. Playoffs need to play more guys thru out so come end of game ur main guys fresh and can push thru finish line.

It’s an exhibition game. Come out healthy and get ready for round 1.
I legit didn't want to win the ACCT or even play well and lose a close final because it would have definitely hurt us in the real tournament. Seeding doesn't matter nor does when we play the ACC schools we'll have to beat at least 2 to win the title. Slightly easier path to Memorial day would be nice but this team should have championship or bust expectations as head to head vs Notre Dame we have to be the one school everyone gives the best chance of beating them.

I get pulling mark as when things going wrong n need change goalie is usually first switch to make. But i prob would have tried to throw mark back in after half see if maby the short rest put fire up his ass. But never happen and hey gave mccool some time in big game. Think mccool some his saves were nice but just bad time be thrown in cold in such big n lopsided game. I also prefer mark with sweat pants than shorts. Maby cause i prefer sweatpants then short when goalie but sometimes get lucky with sweatpants getting just enough of ball to slow it down or prevent goal besides fact helps disperses impact or so they say.

Not a goalie but have played it more than few times. But what have notice mark and mccool were both guessing alot n guessed wrong. Few goals players stick never dropped yet our goalies did just to be beat high. Also i don’t like when goalies try to save with buttend of stick instead turning hands over top trying get head on ball. Yes have to be fast doing so but would give more area to stop then such small one. Also mark does not step to ball at all always sits back never really explodes forward to ball. I know he’s sit in his ways and is hell of goalie but think would help him save few others if stepped toward ball. Also i don’t see it much guess so don’t get injured but when dude coming from behind or on side n gonna be right on top of you n just goalie n shooter wish our goalies at right times would just full out explode into shooter. Like come out of net to plow the guy. Most shooters would not expect that and if match stick as go for hit or time it right prob not get shot off or will least not go in net. I say this as i’ve been blown up more then few times by goalie doing this as wasn’t expecting it. Instead just staying n trying to read fakes their gonna thru or whatever once get close enough just go at them. I don’t know either way goalies weren’t seeing ball well few those goals were weak but overall defense didn’t help.

The o’neil sweep goal had to see that coming if dwan as o’neil is known for sweeping across for that top shot and barely uses his right hand. Felt like dwan was playing roll back so wasn’t staying with him all way n o’neil had hands free. Also don’t think gg called first timeout till was what 5-0 or something. Kol also needs to learn how to stay home. When he is covering inside shooters you can’t give them an inch that’s all they need, have to be on them at all times. We didn’t play aggressive enough early on let duke do what they wanted and with ease. Then when did it within 3 the poor shots n turnovers came n that was end. The simple pass on clear to mulé who missed it n went out was horrid. Again guys trying to run thru double or triple teams instead pulling out finding open man or just moving it. Glad schmitch or whatever got time he had some nice gbs n hope gets some more time. Playoffs need to play more guys thru out so come end of game ur main guys fresh and can push thru finish line.
Dwan didn’t play O’Neil physically like he did the first game. Have to make him right as much as possible and have to be physical early.

Losing Wright was bigger than I thought it would be. We essentially played without our starting LSMs when they moved Saam down to close.

Figueiras played Zawada well again. In my opinion the easy adjustment when McAdorey started would have been to bump Figueiras over to him and let Kol play Zawada. Kol struggles playing off ball. Zawada is a feeder first which would have eliminated Kols weakness.

We got too scrambled on D with all the changes.

Agree on the opinion of leaving Mark in and let him figure it out like we did at the X.

Gary always finds a scapegoat when his team loses instead of taking it on his own shoulders for not coming out ready last night. I'm a supporter of him and believe in him but that stuff does bother me some.

Ya he's Desko squared which is concerning. Never hear I have to be better or it's on the staff etc. I missed the comments before about Mark but if he was trying to insinuate he was responsible for the OT losses that's insane.

Syracuse vs Duke | 2024 ACC Semifinal | Men's Lacrosse Highlights

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom