Duke Gameday... | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Duke Gameday...

You probably need to recalibrate what "being back is." No school will have a run like the one SU had through the 80's, 90's and 2000's. There's too much parity. And as far as recruiting, the school has built in disadvantages now that didnt exist previously.

On top of all of that you're never actually back after one year. You have to show consistency. We're still running mostly underclassmen out there against seniors and grad students. I think this year is a great sign of SU being in the upper tier of lacrosse again.
What do you see as the built-in disadvantages?

I'm curious, not looking to pick a fight. I can guess at some, but I'm interested in what you think they are. Thanks!

What do you see as the built-in disadvantages?

I'm curious, not looking to pick a fight. I can guess at some, but I'm interested in what you think they are. Thanks!
I parrot these things in the recruiting thread and I understand I’m cynical, so humor me.

the hypothesis is that because lacrosse is not a sport that results in a significant professional payoff, it’s primarily used as an admissions tool for college.

The best lacrosse is played in Long Island, west Chester county, Fairfield County, Metro Boston, North Jersey, Main line Philly, and suburban Baltimore/dc, primarily at private and prep schools. The parents of those kids want return on the thousands they’ve spent on school, clubs, trainers, etc. it’s not a coincidence that schools with excellent academic profiles like Duke, Notre Dame, UVA, UNC, the Ivies, Georgetown, etc. have made huge recruiting strides in the last few decades. Those schools also have top notch business/econ/finance programs with pipelines to Wall Street, hedge funds, etc. they also have such large endowments they offer insane financial aid packages.

Syracuse offers a A+ lacrosse program (facilities, structure, lax alums, sponsors, fans), but is not elite academically or in job placement. Also, tuition is massive and financial aid less than peers, so the partial scholarships offered to play are less appealing offers. We cant offer low in state tuition like MD or Penn State.

Imo SU should target the following:
  • The best indigenous kids. SU has a full ride for Haudenosaunee (sp) students.
  • Kids from second tier academic prep schools (eg Salisbury, Hill Academy, AOF, etc,)
  • Canadians. Gait is a big big name in Canadian lacrosse.

Thanks for indulging me.

Gary always finds a scapegoat when his team loses instead of taking it on his own shoulders for not coming out ready
last night. I'm a supporter of him and believe in him but that stuff does bother me some.
[I have not read the whole thread, so excuse me if this has already been mentioned.]

It looked to me like they were not ready. To use the soccer expression--they were on the back foot for the whole first quarter, at least. And the game was over by the end of the first quarter.

I don't know why they seemed a step slow, or why the faceoff unit seemed lost, or why they didn't adjust to McAdorey.

I hope and expect that they will do a better job constructing the schedule next season. Playing only 2 games in the prior 30 days and none in the prior 12 is not the way to be sharp at the opening faceoff, in my opinion.

[I have not read the whole thread, so excuse me if this has already been mentioned.]

It looked to me like they were not ready. To use the soccer expression--they were on the back foot for the whole first quarter, at least. And the game was over by the end of the first quarter.

I don't know why they seemed a step slow, or why the faceoff unit seemed lost, or why they didn't adjust to McAdorey.

I hope and expect that they will do a better job constructing the schedule next season. Playing only 2 games in the prior 30 days and none in the prior 12 is not the way to be sharp at the opening faceoff, in my opinion.
Yeah especially a young team. Playing 2 games in a month they came out flat. A veteran team can probably handle it better and be ready to go but again that's also on the coaches to make sure the kids are ready to go from the first face off. They seemed more worried about who got all conference instead of being ready for a tournament game. Now maybe the coaches did try and get them ready but at least take it on ur shoulders as the HC and say it's on us coaches to make sure these guys are ready to go. If I had 1 thing to really complain about with Gary is not being that leader who takes responsibility for the teams play. Like I said earlier I support him and don't blame him for things others do on here but I would like for him to take some responsibility. Just like the players can play better the coach can do a better job too. They should all be in this together and when they don't play well it's on everyone including the coaches.

I parrot these things in the recruiting thread and I understand I’m cynical, so humor me.

the hypothesis is that because lacrosse is not a sport that results in a significant professional payoff, it’s primarily used as an admissions tool for college.

The best lacrosse is played in Long Island, west Chester county, Fairfield County, Metro Boston, North Jersey, Main line Philly, and suburban Baltimore/dc, primarily at private and prep schools. The parents of those kids want return on the thousands they’ve spent on school, clubs, trainers, etc. it’s not a coincidence that schools with excellent academic profiles like Duke, Notre Dame, UVA, UNC, the Ivies, Georgetown, etc. have made huge recruiting strides in the last few decades. Those schools also have top notch business/econ/finance programs with pipelines to Wall Street, hedge funds, etc. they also have such large endowments they offer insane financial aid packages.

Syracuse offers a A+ lacrosse program (facilities, structure, lax alums, sponsors, fans), but is not elite academically or in job placement. Also, tuition is massive and financial aid less than peers, so the partial scholarships offered to play are less appealing offers. We cant offer low in state tuition like MD or Penn State.

Imo SU should target the following:
  • The best indigenous kids. SU has a full ride for Haudenosaunee (sp) students.
  • Kids from second tier academic prep schools (eg Salisbury, Hill Academy, AOF, etc,)
  • Canadians. Gait is a big big name in Canadian lacrosse.

Thanks for indulging me.
Very thorough explanation, thanks!

Yeah, if you haven't seen it, The Atlantic had an article from a few years back about very wealthy families and their obsession with getting their kids athletic scholarships at Ivies/top tier academic schools.

Two things that the author pointed out that were particularly alarming:
- there are only so many of these spots and there are too many wildly wealthy parents. Basically...all the people in Fairfield County are competing for the same 12 spots on the squash team at Dartmouth, so the competition is fierce and the families go to extreme measures. Like hiring the Egyptian national squah champion to live in their "pool house" and coach Hayden.

- the University of Utah men's lacrosse team was basically payrolled by some kid's dad (I think a CT kid) who wasn't recruited by any other DI teams. Dad said...here's $12M, start a team! Brayden wants to play DI!

Thoughts/Comments on Friday's game:

Box Score - ACC Semi - Cuse v Duke

1st Quarter - 9-2 Duke
2nd Quarter - 4-2 SU
3rd Quarter - 5-1 Duke
4th Quarter - 6-2 SU

The last 3 quarters 11-9 Cuse

That doesn't tell the entire story obviously.

Duke came out hard in the 1st and 3rd and that was that. They were embarrassed in the first game and were ready at the X and our D/Goaltending was not prepared for their intensity.

Our man up didn't make it happen - we were 1-6, but so was Duke.

9 goals between - MacAdorey, O'Neill - only 1 of those goals was assisted.

Duke and SU both had 6 goal scorers, MacAdorey, O'Neill were dominant. For SU Stevens had 4, 2 of which were assisted, and Joey had 4, all unassisted.

Hiltz, Leo had no goals, Owen with 2 assists.

I saw a LOT of ball watching for SU on Friday. That can't happen with the free style play we keep hearing is encouraged by Gary.

2024 ACC All-Tournament Team
Liam Entenmann, Notre Dame (MVP)
Chris Kavanagh, Notre Dame
Shawn Lyght, Notre Dame
Will Lynch, Notre Dame
Devon McLane, Notre Dame
Jake Taylor, Notre Dame
Andrew McAdorey, Duke
Kenny Brower, Duke
Brennan O’Neill, Duke
Dyson Williams, Duke
Joey Spallina, Syracuse