Class of 2020 - C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24) | Page 72 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24)

I'm on a Hill Society Zoom right now with ADJW and Red. Red confirmed that Eddie is in the fold. JW said Red did a great job this weekend working with Eddie's Mom. They expect to have him on campus next week, but they also admit that a team theoretically could tamper and there is no binding contract they can sign. JW said an SEC team was trying to poach Lampkin but unfortunately doing so is legal.
What else are you learning about :)

So Red is struggling, We just brought in a very good recruiting class in like how many years, very solid D based portal class and we are in the thick of it for tremendous 2025 players. Also, by the way banking on returning players heavily. Did he tell you he was struggling, any other coaches? Tough times to navigate, I am banking on Red doing it the right away, he already is. We unfortunately have 1 transfer completely unexpected, MB, the rest you can assume whatever you like. He has hit it out of the ballpark this off-season. No matter what, comings and goings
The incoming freshmen weren’t signed this offseason.

The portal transfers are ranked:
Lampkin 196
Davis 128
Carlos 256

What “ballpark” is this? Basement Nerf tee ball?

I dont disagree with anything you’re saying outside of this being a defense based portal class. Carlos is a good defender no doubt, the other two, however, are not…
That was a typo, sorry. Lampkin, def not at least on metrics

Very solid D based portal class? Carlos isnt a good defender at all and Lampkin had one more blocked shot than Joe Girard did last season. Put them together with the worst defensive tandem JJ and Bell and its a disaster. This defense is putrid and thats saying it mildly.
Complete typo, in no way meant to ref defense

I'm on a Hill Society Zoom right now with ADJW and Red. Red confirmed that Eddie is in the fold. JW said Red did a great job this weekend working with Eddie's Mom. They expect to have him on campus next week, but they also admit that a team theoretically could tamper and there is no binding contract they can sign. JW said an SEC team was trying to poach Lampkin but unfortunately doing so is legal.

Well...I guess most of us can figure out who your sources are...

Who, me?
usa_today_14115502.0.jpg

What a sweaty sleazebag

Very solid D based portal class? Carlos isnt a good defender at all and Lampkin had one more blocked shot than Joe Girard did last season. Put them together with the worst defensive tandem JJ and Bell and its a disaster. This defense is putrid and thats saying it mildly.
Lampkin isn’t going to be a great shot blocker at Syracuse but he’ll get more than he did at Colorado. I don’t think CU coach Tad Boyle values blocked shots on defense like JB did and Red does. Some coaches don’t. It can put you out of position for rebounds. I’m sure our coaches will want Eddie to try and block more shots than he did at Colorado and he’ll be able to do that. At TCU, he only averaged like 20mpg and had like three times the amount of blocks than he did at Colorado. I don’t think he’s going to be great in that area, but he’ll be more effective than he was at Colorado. Also good defense is about much more than blocked shots.

I don’t think Lampkin is going to be a great shot blocker at Syracuse but he’ll get more than he did at Colorado. I don’t think CU coach Tad Boyle values blocked shots on defense like JB did and Red does. Some coaches don’t. It can put you out of position for rebounds. I’m sure our coaches will want Eddie to try and block more shots than he did at Colorado and he’ll be able to do that. At TCU, he only averaged like 20mpg and had like three times the amount of blocks than he did at Colorado. I don’t think he’s going to be great in that area, but he’ll be more effective than he was at Colorado. Also good defense is about much more than blocked shots.
Everything you said is fair. Also agree that good defense is more than blocked shots. Hopefully dude is ready to go.

Some of you guys are in for a rude awakening when you watch Lampkin attempt to defend the PNR. It's going to be a huge issue with him like it is with McLeod. Staff is going to have to get creative schematically.

Some of you guys are in for a rude awakening when you watch Lampkin attempt to defend the PNR. It's going to be a huge issue with him like it is with McLeod. Staff is going to have to get creative schematically.
Freeman needs to play stellar help defense. I hope it doesn't land him with too many fouls. A lot is on Freeman's shoulders this year.

Everything you said is fair. Also agree that good defense is more than blocked shots. Hopefully dude is ready to go.
I’m legitimately worried about his defense as well. But I gotta think he’ll be improved. Our coaches have always emphasized blocked shots and rim protection. I’d really love to see us land Waterman or Boakye as the backup.

And I know you and lots of others think McLeod is a big ol stiff, and I don’t disagree. But I do think that his injury started before he shut it down and it slowed his development. I just want to see him to get healthy and back in shape, develop his motor and run the floor, block shots and rebound. If he can do that, he could become a defensive stopper when we can’t rely on Lampkin.

Last edited:
Wanted to like this post, but didn’t want to mess this up

Attachments

• IMG_2631.jpeg
    IMG_2631.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 75
I’m legitimately worried about his defense as well. But I gotta think he’ll be improved. Our coaches have always emphasized blocked shots and rim protection. I’d really love to see us land Waterman or Boakye as the backup.

And I know you and lots of others think McLeod is a big ol stiff, and I don’t disagree. But I do think that his injury started before he shut it down and slowed his development. I just want to see him get healthy and back in shape, develop his motor and run the floor, block shots and rebound. If he can do that, he could become a defensive stopper when we can’t rely on Lampkin.

This will fall on Red to sort this out then. Can we be better on switches and have good help D on any mismatch?

Also have to remember that attacking the opponent in the post to offset this concern is going to be key too. Would be great if Eddie worked on his foot speed too this summer .

Last edited:
The incoming freshmen weren’t signed this offseason.

The portal transfers are ranked:
Lampkin 196
Davis 128
Carlos 256

What “ballpark” is this? Basement Nerf tee ball?
there’s so much wrong with those rankings but yes they are the #’s for on3.

Eddie is the #15 Center. Guess On3 doesn’t think there’s many good centers out there in the portal if that = 196. 9 centers above him are frosh or Soph with very little experience. Another handful are 7 foot 210-220 pound guys, stick figures. That leaves maybe 3-4 better centers that were in the portal. This is why he got paid and paid again.

Davis and Carlos are not coming here to start, the 1-3 are going to be ran by committee. I think we all wish we had one more superstar from the portal but that’s not in the cards. So let’s see what happens.

Show me the teams in the acc that are going to run this amazing PNR you think they are. In case people haven’t been keeping track every good center in the ACC is gone. Bacot, Flip, Burns, Hall, Post the list goes on. They played there 4-5 years or are going to the league. Sure teams are reloading but not with better portal centers and good luck to the Freshman coming in against him.

Eddie is going to be the most experienced 5 in the ACC. Also in case people forgot we went all last season with a 20 year old power forward with no backup battling 24 year olds.

Show me the ACC Center that is going to come in and own Eddie in league play.

Freeman needs to play stellar help defense. I hope it doesn't land him with too many fouls. A lot is on Freeman's shoulders this year.
First thing in awhile I’ve agree with on your posts. Freeman just needs to have a huge year for us. There were flaws on defense last year for sure but there’s a lot of fresh blood coming in.

Add another puzzle piece or 2 and it feels like we’re going to have a real camp. Experienced guys coming in, top High School talent, and guys hopefully rebounding from injury. Somewhere in there has got to be a solid back court combination that can hoop on both ends.

First thing in awhile I’ve agree with on your posts. Freeman just needs to have a huge year for us. There were flaws on defense last year for sure but there’s a lot of fresh blood coming in.

Add another puzzle piece or 2 and it feels like we’re going to have a real camp. Experienced guys coming in, top High School talent, and guys hopefully rebounding from injury. Somewhere in there has got to be a solid back court combination that can hoop on both ends.
Not having a player pounding the ball onto the floor everytime we come down floor will help.
Go back and watch The Sue Bird, Loyd and Stewie teams. A lot of fast breaks the ball never touches the floor.
That's what Red is looking for crisp passes move the ball upcourt faster.

there’s so much wrong with those rankings but yes they are the #’s for on3.

Eddie is the #15 Center. Guess On3 doesn’t think there’s many good centers out there in the portal if that = 196. 9 centers above him are frosh or Soph with very little experience. Another handful are 7 foot 210-220 pound guys, stick figures. That leaves maybe 3-4 better centers that were in the portal. This is why he got paid and paid again.

Davis and Carlos are not coming here to start, the 1-3 are going to be ran by committee. I think we all wish we had one more superstar from the portal but that’s not in the cards. So let’s see what happens.
I’m not debating any of that. I think we got some good players, at positions of need. I just cringe when someone says we “knocked it out of the park” with that set of transfers. It’s just a ludikris bit of hyperbole.

I wonder what the level of hype would be if any of our guys were in the top 50.