Class of 2020 - C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24) | Page 73 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24)

I’m not debating any of that. I think we got some good players, at positions of need. I just cringe when someone says we “knocked it out of the park” with that set of transfers. It’s just a ludikris bit of hyperbole.

I wonder what the level of hype would be if any of our guys were in the top 50.
We didn’t knock anything out of the park. Not saying we got bad players but whether we got better or worse is purely subjective at this point. People didn’t like Judah — or at least big parts of his game (though it feels like there’s a lot of the former). People seem obsessed with Brown struggling in the post against bigger centers late in the season. People feel Copeland was a major problem off the court/in the locker room.

There are elements of truth there. But at this point, I have major concerns about how he holds up defensively and I struggle to believe he is Onuaku pt. 2 offensively. Carlos and Davis should contribute, but at what level, it’s hard to say.

there is a lot that goes into being a good basketball team so it’s best to wait and see … but I have a really hard time believing the talent we brought in even matches the talent that went out. If someone is suggesting we hit a home run they have to know something I don’t about the transfers, freeman/moore, Westry’s health, and/or englestad. Otherwise, just by judging individual pieces, it’s really hard to believe we got better.

there’s so much wrong with those rankings but yes they are the #’s for on3.

Eddie is the #15 Center. Guess On3 doesn’t think there’s many good centers out there in the portal if that = 196. 9 centers above him are frosh or Soph with very little experience. Another handful are 7 foot 210-220 pound guys, stick figures. That leaves maybe 3-4 better centers that were in the portal. This is why he got paid and paid again.

Davis and Carlos are not coming here to start, the 1-3 are going to be ran by committee. I think we all wish we had one more superstar from the portal but that’s not in the cards. So let’s see what happens.
The portal rankings weigh years of eligibility heavily - a soph is more valuable than a SR to them.

Most of the guys making the rankings got cut from JV

The portal rankings weigh years of eligibility heavily - a soph is more valuable than a SR to them.

Most of the guys making the rankings got cut from JV
I don’t put a ton of credence into the rankings I cited. But, when I was posting, I googled lists, chose the first three that I recognized, and the first two didn’t even have numbers. They only went up to 100, and we didn’t have anyone on either top 100 list. The third one did have numbers, and was one commonly referenced on this forum, so that was that.

Either way—it’s a tough task to rank players like that. But, still—those numbers do mean something. And if it were the other way around, the people who are now saying the numbers mean this or that or don’t mean this or that would be crowing about them if we did have a highly-regarded guy. Like they do with “#6” Freeman.

But, whatever. I was merely refuting an assertion. Optimism is great. Delusion and misrepresentation are not so great. I’ve been positive about Lampkin, and even posited defensive arguments about his potential defense. I’m the one who found and cited Carlos’ cluster of insanely high scoring HS games. Davis is from my hometown and played his Hs games walking distance from where I grew up. I have high hopes for each of them and think they all fit needs. But the realistic/practical side worries that we needed to make bigger impacts. No one knows what will result and I still think we’ll be good enough for a bid, but it’s like we are still just working on getting to the fringe, and that’s just too close for comfort. “The mind wobbles” when people say that we’re ’crushing it’ and the like.

I'm on a Hill Society Zoom right now with ADJW and Red. Red confirmed that Eddie is in the fold. JW said Red did a great job this weekend working with Eddie's Mom. They expect to have him on campus next week, but they also admit that a team theoretically could tamper and there is no binding contract they can sign. JW said an SEC team was trying to poach Lampkin but unfortunately doing so is legal.
Seems the lead is being buried. Red did a great job with Eddie’s mom…..reminds me of Forrest Gump for some reason.

Last edited:
If Chance and McLeod are each 100% we should be improved. League play will remain difficult but not significantly more than last year.
I hope Patterson returns as we do need a third center.
My starting 5 would be as follows.
Lampkin
Freeman
Bell
JJ
Chance

Bench
McLeod
Carlos
Transfer
Frosh
Cuffe .
Lots of kids that can play multiple positions. Teams weakness is still outside shooting and of course the D has to improve which I believe it will.
Lampkin is a huge upgrade over Brown who did a solid job playing out of position but was eaten alive when we went up against physical teams.

Freeman should be a huge upgrade over Benny.

Bell will be improved
JJ as well.
I'm very high on Carlos. I think he is going to really surprise a lot of the skeptics here.
Moore is a sniper which will help.
McLeod is an excellent back up 5 and I thought he played well before he was injured.
All in all I think we make the dance IF Chance is 100% as if he's healthy he is really good.

I'm amazed there's people that don't have him on ignore.

I don’t agree with two3zone all the time but he makes good points and IMO adds value to the board. He also makes me reevaluate to be sure that I’m not looking at things with too much of an orange bias, which I tend to do when unchecked.

Imagine how boring this place would be if nobody challenged others opinions. I personally don’t need an echo chamber.

Imagine how boring this place would be if nobody challenged others opinions. I personally don’t need an echo chamber.

Kind of like being on the FB board at the start of the Shafer disaster and during DB’s time here. The recruiting was so amazing with those two coaches only some people could really see it and the rest were idiots. The results on the field rarely saw it either.

I don’t agree with two3zone all the time but he makes good points and IMO adds value to the board. He also makes me reevaluate to be sure that I’m not looking at things with too much of an orange bias, which I tend to do when unchecked.

Well put. There's a lot of groupthink and pile-ons on this Board. It's better when people have different opinions, whether positive or negative towards the program. Can't speak for the rest of the group, but when I hear a different opinion I tend to think deeply about it and sometimes it opens my eyes towards something I was looking at too narrowly, or at the very least it allows me to understand where posters are coming from.

Well, I think you're wrong about everything!!! ;)

If you want to talk about anything other than the subject, Eddie Lampkin, either find the correct thread to put your thoughts, put people on ignore, no name calling and look at the thread title before posting. Remember too this is a board for fans. We don’t need to hear anyone’s opinion repeated constantly - good or critical. Repeating something 10x doesn’t make it a fact, it’s still only your opinion.

If you want to talk about anything other than the subject, either find the correct thread to put your thoughts, put people on ignore, no name calling and look at the thread title before posting. Remember too this is a board for fans. We don’t need to hear anyone’s opinion repeated constantly - good or critical. Repeating something 10x doesn’t make it a fact, it’s still only your opinion.

the dude your opinion GIF

:p

I crapped out around page 50 of this thread. Any chance someone could provide the current odds on if this guy will play for SU?

Kind of like being on the FB board at the start of the Shafer disaster and during DB’s time here. The recruiting was so amazing with those two coaches only some people could really see it and the rest were idiots. The results on the field rarely saw it either.

Eh - those football years are in a league of their own. Get the point but we aren’t talking about racking up losing seasons in hoops.

Seems very likely. Supposed to enroll in first summer term. He can’t de-commit once enrolled. Fingers crossed.
Why not? Fall semester I could see, but I haven't heard this before. Wouldn't it just be another transfer? And not even the same academic year as the fall.