Backup QB Discussion | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Backup QB Discussion

Ok I found the guy we should go after as QB2: Brendan Sullivan transfer from Northwestern. Has two years left, is from Michigan so not terribly far from home if he comes to SU. Didn’t play a ton at Northwestern but when he did he was pretty solid:

Yeah boy...sacked 23 times in 5 games...he'll fit just fine!:cool:

Ok I found the guy we should go after as QB2: Brendan Sullivan transfer from Northwestern. Has two years left, is from Michigan so not terribly far from home if he comes to SU. Didn’t play a ton at Northwestern but when he did he was pretty solid:

Sorry, my friend.

Yeah I had read last week that Iowa was his likely destination. Ok, now I am hoping for Roberson, the U Conn kid. Someone decent, please!
He's but far the highest rated transfer QB still out there. Cooper Legal from Utah State is in the portal, decent stats and a Senior, Michael Wright a Senior QB from Mississippi State out there.

I think at this point we just have to hope Jakhari is ready.

He's but far the highest rated transfer QB still out there. Cooper Legal from Utah State is in the portal, decent stats and a Senior, Michael Wright a Senior QB from Mississippi State out there.

I think at this point we just have to hope Jakhari is ready.
I think that’s a ton to ask of a true freshman who didn’t enroll early. I wish we could realistically have him as a QB2 option, at least a ready to play QB2, but I don’t think so. Roberson should have two years left, he would be perfect. Sell it Fran!

I think that’s a ton to ask of a true freshman who didn’t enroll early. I wish we could realistically have him as a QB2 option, at least a ready to play QB2, but I don’t think so. Roberson should have two years left, he would be perfect. Sell it Fran!
Who you cutting?

Both Jakhari or a transfer would need to learn the offense. Both Jakhari or a transfer wouldn't have experience playing in a D1 game. A transfer has an expectation of being QB2, where Jakhari does not.

Both Jakhari or a transfer would need to learn the offense. Both Jakhari or a transfer wouldn't have experience playing in a D1 game. A transfer has an expectation of being QB2, where Jakhari does not.
Depends who the transfer is, in regards to experience playing D1. You are correct about the rest. It’s a dilemna.

Who you cutting?
Yeah and it would be a very unique individual who would accept the role because he most likley won't be the starter next year either. You aren't going to get a HUGE win here, Everybody sees what's going on, if Jakhair isn't ready to start in 2025, there just going to go out and most likely get another grad transfer to bridge the gap again considering they have another solid freshman coming in next year and maybe another. I just cant see a guy Brendan Sullivan being the starting Qb at Syracuse in 2025.

If McCord has a great year it will be a very attractive spot once again.

Last edited:
I don't know, man. It's not a sure thing that a transfer wouldn't have playing experience, and you don't think Jakhari expects to be QB2 after HCFB called him "the future of the program?"

I don't know, man. It's not a sure thing that a transfer wouldn't have playing experience, and you don't think Jakhari expects to be QB2 after HCFB called him "the future of the program?"
If it was up to me, it's not a question, you get Jakhari prepared to be QB2. I wouldn't bring in a transfer at all.

A lot of this board don't feel the same.

Yeah and it would be a very unique individual who would accept the role because he most likley won't be the starter next year either. You aren't going to get a HUGE win here, Everybody sees what's going on, if Jakhair isn't ready to start in 2025, there just going to go out and most likely get another grad transfer to bridge the gap again considering they have another solid freshman coming in next year and maybe another. I just cant see a guy Brendan Sullivan being the starting Qb at Syracuse in 2025.

We don’t need huge, we need competent. We have the best recruiter in the country. If Va Tech can get Schlee, who isn’t great but is better than the likes of CDRW, then we can hopefully get Roberson or someone similar. Definitely not easy and as Bnoro pointed out, a new guy has to learn the offense in one summer. The idea of CDRW being QB2 again is not good at all

If it was up to me, it's not a question, you get Jakhari prepared to be QB2. I wouldn't bring in a transfer at all.

It’s a hell of a lot to ask of a true freshman, as good of a prospect as he is, this isn’t Arch Manning, and Arch enrolled early unlike Jahkari

It’s a hell of a lot to ask of a true freshman, as good of a prospect as he is, this isn’t Arch Manning, and Arch enrolled early unlike Jahkari
If Arch Manning's last name wasn't Manning he'd be in the transfer portal or converting to TE at this point.

Yeah, good point. Anyone we bring in will know he's competing against Jakhari or another transfer in 2025.

If we bring someone in, it's nothing more than an insurance policy for 2024 and the player would have to accept that.

But as Go said, we're at 85 now, the portal deadlines are over, so...

lkdqQA.gif

If Arch Manning's last name wasn't Manning he'd be in the transfer portal or converting to TE at this point.
I think he is a lot better than that, but that is funny anyway!

If McCord gets hurt the ceiling of the team is basically gone. Might as well throw the true frosh out there and see what he's got right.

djorange1989 has a point (it's a lot to ask). Also, being "new" as a transfer or GT (with D-1 game experience) isn't the same as being "new" to intercollegiate ball. But to your point, JW is highly touted, and there will be opportunities early in the schedule to get him some snaps if the staff thinks he's ready. CDRW is there for a break glass option.

Last edited:

It's kind of like setting expectations in basketball for freshmen 3 point shooting percentages. Even good shooters struggle to make a good percentage as freshmen, because it's an adjustment.

Same with QBs. It's a difficult position to begin with. Even good QBs new to the college game struggle.

Just a lot to put on his shoulders.

It's kind of like setting expectations in basketball for freshmen 3 point shooting percentages. Even good shooters struggle to make a good percentage as freshmen, because it's an adjustment.

Same with QBs. It's a difficult position to begin with. Even good QBs new to the college game struggle.

Just a lot to put on his shoulders.
Of course it's a lot to put on his shoulders. Hopefully we don't have to do it at all as it would mean McCord got injured.

But once again, I'd rather give him experience and let him make mistakes because at that point our season would be over anyways.

why not get a FCS or even D2 QB with good numbers and at least some FBS-level traits, and although they would be a backup here, they could get much more NIL vs. their current school to make it worth their while

why not get a FCS or even D2 QB with good numbers and at least some FBS-level traits, and although they would be a backup here, they could get much more NIL vs. their current school to make it worth their while
Who do you have in mind?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom