Backup QB Discussion | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Backup QB Discussion

If it was up to me, it's not a question, you get Jakhari prepared to be QB2. I wouldn't bring in a transfer at all.

A lot of this board don't feel the same.
I would have felt better about it if he made it to spring ball

I saw plenty of Ronald at Pitt 2 years ago. I saw shades of Ronald in the spring game.

Jakhari is not ready and is not a realistic option.
He may be ready physically. mentally is what I ?. As I said earlier if he had spring I would be all in on him at 2 but as I see now we got no choice.

I get it. The other 2 pages of posts aren't.

I'm a huge fan of Fran but "the season is over if McCord goes down" isn't any different than 8 years of Dino when it comes to QB depth.
The season was over for FSU once Jordan Travis went down last year even though their backups won them games. So why would it be any different for SU? If anything it would be worse, even with an extended CFP.

The season was over for FSU once Jordan Travis went down last year even though their backups won them games. So why would it be any different for SU? If anything it would be worse, even with an extended CFP.
We have to hope we find a Jason Bean in the portal or that someone on the roster turns into him.

No it's not. Shrader was a perfectly serviceable QB. What got Dino fired was that he had 1 above average OL (2018) and 1 year where he had a competent back up QB (2018). You walk into seasons consistently with weak OL's and no contingency at QB and that's a recipe for an average to worse program.
Absolutely correct. The O line was this biggest issue. Shrader wasnt the greatest but he actually got them to back to back bowl games. Would have been 3 if he played the whole rutgers game.

Also I know many are down on CDRW as QB2. I get it. However, if the OL is improved, the skill positions are improved, and you have a new offense + coaches, is it possible he can be a solid backup?

He seemed jumpy to me in the Spring game.

He seemed jumpy to me in the Spring game.

Long way to Fall

I guess my overall thoughts are if the coaching staff didn't give him the talk and he's still here, he's good enough to be here.

Realistically, I hope the only snaps he sees this year are when we're up 30+

I think its a matter of landing someone that is better before they let him go.

All for roster upgrades -- if the talent is out there and you can get them, you do it, and have the not-so-fun conversations after.

Just hasn't happened yet. McCord is QB1 and I hope I never find out who QB2 really is lol

They love Avery johnson. Roberson will be backing him up. Backing up a true sophormore. Maybe it was an easier sell?
Hope he likes heat and tornado warnings, they are right next to Ft Riley. Spent my last 8 months in the army there, would never go back.
Sweat poors off you in the shade.

Could Mike Alaimo be better than CDRW and Davis?

Michael Alaimo 2023 Stats per Game - NCAAF - ESPN

God I hope not. If that is as good as we can bring in just don't bring in anybody. Taking somebody who has gotten the chance to play that many snaps and put up those stats against that competition has proven he doesn't have what it takes. I'd rather go with a random QB from a P4 school that hasn't gotten a chance to play yet and just hope he's better than that.

I think CDRW is better than Alaimo. He's certainly not good by any means but im still hoping he's better than what he has showed us thus far. I feel like he has seen action in a lot of bad conditions when given opportunities. Even in the past two spring games when he's given the go its with the second OL and WR's. His production issues were certainly not just because of that but hopefully partially? Also hoping injuries played a large roll in his failures last year. He appeared to take a shot and get injured in a game and the broadcasters didn't really talk about it and he ended up coming back in for the rest of the games series I think because we had nobody else. I assume that was against BC but don't remember it well. And I really don't want to rely on Jakhari as a #2 but hope he is better then what Alaimo has produced. And Michael Johnson Jr is hopefully adequate enough at passing where he would be better than Alaimo as well as he at least adds the rushing element.

Michael Alaimo 2023 Stats per Game - NCAAF - ESPN

God I hope not. If that is as good as we can bring in just don't bring in anybody. Taking somebody who has gotten the chance to play that many snaps and put up those stats against that competition has proven he doesn't have what it takes. I'd rather go with a random QB from a P4 school that hasn't gotten a chance to play yet and just hope he's better than that.

I think CDRW is better than Alaimo. He's certainly not good by any means but im still hoping he's better than what he has showed us thus far. I feel like he has seen action in a lot of bad conditions when given opportunities. Even in the past two spring games when he's given the go its with the second OL and WR's. His production issues were certainly not just because of that but hopefully partially? Also hoping injuries played a large roll in his failures last year. He appeared to take a shot and get injured in a game and the broadcasters didn't really talk about it and he ended up coming back in for the rest of the games series I think because we had nobody else. I assume that was against BC but don't remember it well. And I really don't want to rely on Jakhari as a #2 but hope he is better than what Alaimo has produced. And Michael Johnson Jr is hopefully adequate enough at passing where he would be better than Alaimo as well as he at least adds the rushing element.
Never saw him play. Didnt follow his career so thanks for the info.

Never saw him play. Didnt follow his career so thanks for the info.
Oh I never saw him play either. I'm just looking at the stats. CDRW's are terrible too but over a smaller sample size at least and typically against better competition.

Looks like Jakhari or bust.
Maybe he can game manage like RJ Anderson did until he gets his skill set up to speed.

This is still coming down to the Oline. Better talent throwing across the board with the RCVRs but if the oline isn't a good chunk better it won't matter. If they are a good chunk better than that is less work a backup will have to do save plays and more plays to be run on sequence and less running around like last year.

This is still coming down to the Oline. Better talent throwing across the board with the RCVRs but if the oline isn't a good chunk better it won't matter. If they are a good chunk better than that is less work a backup will have to do save plays and more plays to be run on sequence and less running around like last year.
I just don’t know how much of CDRW decision making comes from poor O line play. He takes too much time trying to diagnose the read. Even on quick game

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom