2024-25 Coaching Carousel | Syracusefan.com

2024-25 Coaching Carousel

Any thoughts on who might succeed at Brown? Kip Turner comes to mind given his connections to Brown, but that's about it off the top of my head.

Notre Dame's Ryan Wellner has to be one of the hottest assistant coaching names out there. Chris Wojcik has experience coaching in the Ivy League (Harvard), though maybe that doesn't work as a selling point. Jim Mitchell at Princeton comes to mind as well. Jeremy Hirsch from Princeton as well, though he's a PU alum. Jordan Stevens at Cornell, same sort of thing.

I would guess they focus on coaches with Ivy League backgrounds first, but Daly came from Tufts, so who knows. Should be an interesting search.

Curious if the Duke win saved the Carolina staff.

I doubt it but it probably didn't hurt ending the season with that win. UNC just gave him a new contract, granted it was only 3 years instead of their typical 5. I'd have to imagine though if next year looks the same or worse then UNC might eat that last year and move on.

It probably shouldn't have. If it's true that UNC needed to win by five to guarantee a place in the ACC tourny (their only pathway, however remotely small it was to the NCAAs), and they went on to turn a fourth quarter lead of 15-6, to a 15-12 final, that's just really bad. Not only that, but they held the ball with about a minute left in the game, rather than trying to score and expand their lead back up to five. Either the coaching staff didn't know how much they needed to win by, or they didn't know the right buttons to push to hold onto the massive lead they had. Either way it's pretty big mess up that makes this win feel more like a loss.

Breschi got rid of one assistant last year, Dave Metzbower on offense - and the offense got worse. Metzbower is now in Denver looking at a pretty high tournament seed. He demoted his other assistant, and I'll say the defense didn't seem like the issue this year. That said it seems like some sort of ultimatium was made to make changes, and in fact the on field product got worse. Any other coach who made that many changes, and came back and produced the same middling results (another year without a NCAA tournament birth) would probably be shown the door. Breschi seems like a great guy, but I am really surprised this isn't getting more attention.

It probably shouldn't have. If it's true that UNC needed to win by five to guarantee a place in the ACC tourny (their only pathway, however remotely small it was to the NCAAs), and they went on to turn a fourth quarter lead of 15-6, to a 15-12 final, that's just really bad. Not only that, but they held the ball with about a minute left in the game, rather than trying to score and expand their lead back up to five. Either the coaching staff didn't know how much they needed to win by, or they didn't know the right buttons to push to hold onto the massive lead they had. Either way it's pretty big mess up that makes this win feel more like a loss.

Breschi got rid of one assistant last year, Dave Metzbower on offense - and the offense got worse. Metzbower is now in Denver looking at a pretty high tournament seed. He demoted his other assistant, and I'll say the defense didn't seem like the issue this year. That said it seems like some sort of ultimatium was made to make changes, and in fact the on field product got worse. Any other coach who made that many changes, and came back and produced the same middling results (another year without a NCAA tournament birth) would probably be shown the door. Breschi seems like a great guy, but I am really surprised this isn't getting more attention.
What's the fourth tiebreaker? Goal differential is capped at plus or minus 5 goals. If UNC had won by at least 5, all three teams would have a goal differential of 0 because each would have won and lost by at least 5 goals.

This has been discussed quite a bit out there. I don't understand why criticism has not been lobbed at the Duke coaching staff as well. Presumably, they should have understood the tiebreaker and that with the score now below 5 goals, they didnt need to be chasing and doubling with an empty net?

This just leads me to believe that the tiebreakers were not well communicated to the coaches.

What's the fourth tiebreaker? Goal differential is capped at plus or minus 5 goals. If UNC had won by at least 5, all three teams would have a goal differential of 0 because each would have won and lost by at least 5 goals.
This was confusing as it was being discussed by Anish during the game. At first I also thought it was a max of 5 per game but in the end I think it was a max of 5 in total among the relevant games. As I now understand how it worked (and I could be wrong) was Duke had a +6 v Va and -3 v NC for a net of 3. Va had a -6 v Duke & +8 v NC for a net of +2. NC had a +3 v Duke & a - 8 v Va for a net of -5. In total it was Duke +3, Va +2, NC -5. So Duke with the highest got the #3 seed. Then between Va and NC for the #4 seed it was head to head which Va won having beaten NC. If, however, NC had beaten Duke by 5, the net totals would have been Duke +1, Va +2, NC -3. Va with the highest net would have been the #3 seed and then for the #4 seed it would have been head to head Duke & NC and since NC won, NC would have been the #4 seed and Duke would have been out. I think. I was searching Twitter during that game and found something that implied this is how it worked. I had independently come up with NC needing to win by 5 about the same time Anish said it on the broadcast. I also saw a tweet, possibly by Anish, that said that the ACC office had refused to say what the tiebreaker would have been had all 3 teams tied in total goal differential among the 3. Sorry if my explanation is confusing.

Would imagine Andrew Stimmil, recently of Marquette, gets this job.

Any chance Coach O is under consideration? Sure hope not!

i do not believe so

whispers of jon torpey and a handful of assistants with HC experience...thompson, mitchell, wojcik

underwhelming group if you ask me but maybe there are others in the mix i havent heard about..

i do not believe so

whispers of jon torpey and a handful of assistants with HC experience...thompson, mitchell, wojcik

underwhelming group if you ask me but maybe there are others in the mix i havent heard about..

Interesting. Brown seems like a difficult program to evaluate. Obviously had the success from the Tiffany years, but outside of that ... not much. They've been able to recruit well enough over the years.

I think Torpey would be a good choice - he's built the program at High Point and has had success there. I imagine the culture change from High Point to Brown would be something, but that seems like a pretty safe choice.

Mitchell would perhaps be the most intriguing. Princeton has had a good offense these last few years and has been recruiting very well. I imagine he'll be a head coach somewhere soon enough.

Thompson is a Brown alum. The UNC offense this past year was not impressive. He has a long track record though, plenty of other data points to evaluate. Perhaps given that he has a background in DIII would make him less enticing to Brown, given that their last HC came from the DIII ranks.

In other circumstances one would think the mind behind the Notre Dame offense would be a shoe in for a head coaching gig. But Wojcik has the Harvard gig on his resume and that did not go well. Perhaps he has a Bill Belichek like second act in him. He was pretty young when he first took over in Cambridge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom