Class of 2020 - C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24) | Page 74 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24)

After re-watching some film on Eddie, no doubt he should be very effective for us. I'm really excited about him anchoring the center spot. That said, for a big guy, he doesn't have much vertical. It seems like there is a lot of effort when dunking, which is why you see him do layups more often.

Just out of curiosity, I went to some video highlights of Burns to compare. There isn't much comparison in my opinion. Burns is so nimble for a big guy and has a great move to the basket. Eddie seems more cement footed, slower. However, still effective. I think what I saw on tape with his offense explains why he has some defensive challenges. Overall, I'm very happy to (what appears) have him back in the fold. Even with some of his limitations, he's a very important piece for us next year, that's for certain.

After re-watching some film on Eddie, no doubt he should be very effective for us. I'm really excited about him anchoring the center spot. That said, for a big guy, he doesn't have much vertical. It seems like there is a lot of effort when dunking, which is why you see him do layups more often.

Just out of curiosity, I went to some video highlights of Burns to compare. There isn't much comparison in my opinion. Burns is so nimble for a big guy and has a great move to the basket. Eddie seems more cement footed, slower. However, still effective. I think what I saw on tape with his offense explains why he has some defensive challenges. Overall, I'm very happy to (what appears) have him back in the fold. Even with some of his limitations, he's a very important piece for us next year, that's for certain.
Did you ever see Burns block a shot? I don’t ever recall him blocking a shot and he was dominate in the tournament. I too think Lampkin can be effective. Bigs who block shots are usually out of position to defensive rebound and the backside is always open for easy put backs. I’m interested in how Red plays his defense. It helps if everyone just buys into playing defense. I think that was our major issue last year. I agree Lampkin’s tape is interesting.

Did you ever see Burns block a shot? I don’t ever recall him blocking a shot and he was dominate in the tournament. I too think Lampkin can be effective. Bigs who block shots are usually out of position to defensive rebound and the backside is always open for easy put backs. I’m interested in how Red plays his defense. It helps if everyone just buys into playing defense. I think that was our major issue last year. I agree Lampkin’s tape is interesting.
Eddie’s mix of size/athleticism not just what he has but also lacks, as goes for his skillset, is one of the most interesting bagged of mixed balls I’ve looked at in awhile when trying to evaluate one of our incoming players.

My hope is that our defense uses a lot of help close to the basket... Lampkin puts a body on the offensive player inthe post, and usually we play him straight straight up. Trust the shots are going to miss often enough, and will get enough of the rebounds with this current team.

Sometimes, though, Freeman or Bell can serve as weak side shotblocker on Lampkin's guy, or one of the guards can sneak down to poke the ball away without leaving their guy open for threes.

Generally, though, Lampkin is going to be hard to get post position on... He's just strong enough to push guys into positions where they're not comfortable.

I'm hoping that Lampkin is consistently able to get good position when he's the secondary defender when his teammates get beaten of the dribble on the perimeter. He's not going to fill the Fab Melo, Chukwu or even Edwards role as a great shotblocker. But he can play the Rick Jackson, Onuaku role of denying space and making them shoot tougher shots. Having to worry about Lampkin Mountain will make it easier for other guys too get blocks or steals from opponents dribbling to the middle of the defense.

Lampkin's bigger weakness will be if smaller guys try to get him moving laterally in space. Then it's a contest to see if he can abuse them in the post more effectively than they can score on him at the perimeter. Or we zone for some possessions to reduce Lampkin's exposure.

There is so much you can do when you've got the biggest guy in the court, especially when he's an all around good passer. My bet is that we can outscore teams trying to play a smaller guy against Lampkin most of the time.

Last edited:
I think Burns is a heck of a player. But would anyone talk about him if NC St didn’t go on a massive run in the ACC & NCAA tournament? NC State wasn’t even a tournament team if they didn’t win the ACC.

Now all of a sudden every center with some weight to them is being compared to DJ Burns and is DJ Burns 2.0?

No, Burns doesn't block many either but it does happen. He averages about 1 every other game (.6). Lampkin is at .1 per game, so he pretty much doesn't block at all. Just for some context, that's about what JJ and Judah were at for the season last year.

I agree that his lack of blocking doesn't necessarily mean there is a problem. There are other ways to disrupt on the defensive end. The big difference that I saw between Burns and Lampkin (when viewing limited highlights, I must admit) is that Burns has more of a burst/quickness where he can get around guys with a very nice move. Lampkin gets more of his buckets from bullying his way to the basket. He doesn't try to juke the defensive guy, he just uses his big body and strength (which is effective).

Where Lampkin appears to be better (versus Burns) is rebounding - which we all know is huge for us. He averaged about 7 last year to Burns' 4. That's pretty big.

I think Burns is a heck of a player. But would anyone talk about him if NC St didn’t go on a massive run in the ACC & NCAA tournament? NC State wasn’t even a tournament team if they didn’t win the ACC.

Now all of a sudden every center with some weight to them is being compared to DJ Burns and is DJ Burns 2.0?
Yes, many of us were talking about him during the season as a difficult guy to play against - esp when we didn't really have a center. He (and NC State) were much more difficult to beat when he was on the court. The problem is when he picked up a foul or two early. His stamina was also an issue where he could play so many minutes.

Edit: just to add, I don't see Lampkin as a Burns 2.0 at all. They're very different players, but the obvious similarity is the position they play and the size they bring. I would say Burns is more gifted on the offensive side of the ball BUT Lampkin can still get his by using his strength. Burns used more of his quickness (that seems odd to say). Where Eddie should really help us is that he's a better rebounder at 7 a game last year.

Last edited:
blocked shots are so overrated on here

a lot of the time they dont even gain possession and teams still end up scoring ...and they happen on a miniscule percentage of possessions anyway

rather have them than not but they are not near the top of the priorities list when building a roster

100% this.

]
If Chance and McLeod are each 100% we should be improved. League play will remain difficult but not significantly more than last year.
I hope Patterson returns as we do need a third center.
My starting 5 would be as follows.
Lampkin
Freeman
Bell
JJ
Chance

Bench
McLeod
Carlos
Transfer
Frosh
Cuffe .
Lots of kids that can play multiple positions. Teams weakness is still outside shooting and of course the D has to improve which I believe it will.
Lampkin is a huge upgrade over Brown who did a solid job playing out of position but was eaten alive when we went up against physical teams.

Freeman should be a huge upgrade over Benny.

Bell will be improved
JJ as well.
I'm very high on Carlos. I think he is going to really surprise a lot of the skeptics here.
Moore is a sniper which will help.
McLeod is an excellent back up 5 and I thought he played well before he was injured.
All in all I think we make the dance IF Chance is 100% as if he's healthy he is really good.
You forgot Jyare Davis

Yes, many of us were talking about him during the season as a difficult guy to play against - esp when we didn't really have a center. He (and NC State) were much more difficult to beat when he was on the court. The problem is when he picked up a foul or two early. His stamina was also an issue where he could play so many minutes.
I think you’re missing my point. In fairness I didn’t explain 100%.

DJ Burns is a unique talent. How many centers in the history of the NCAA had the size, nimbleness, court vision, and passing that DJ Burns had?

Please correct me if I’m missing someone, but I see DJ Burns as a 1 of 1 type of player. Now all of a sudden, a transfer is supposed to be the next DJ Burns, to which we never saw anyone like DJ Burns before this year? I find that really hard to believe.

Secondly, NC State with DJ Burns was not very good until they got hot at the very end. Yes that doesn’t make DJ Burns less of a player, but he had terrible stamina and could only play 24 mpg. He was able to play more in the postseason tournaments because of the longer media timeouts. At the end of the day. NC State was just an average team until their miraculous post season tournament run which elevated DJ Burns to a higher status.

I think you’re missing my point. In fairness I didn’t explain 100%.

DJ Burns is a unique talent. How many centers in the history of the NCAA had the size, nimbleness, court vision, and passing that DJ Burns had?

Please correct me if I’m missing someone, but I see DJ Burns as a 1 of 1 type of player. Now all of a sudden, a transfer is supposed to be the next DJ Burns, to which we never saw anyone like DJ Burns before this year? I find that really hard to believe.

Secondly, NC State with DJ Burns was not very good until they got hot at the very end. Yes that doesn’t make DJ Burns less of a player, but he had terrible stamina and could only play 24 mpg. He was able to play more in the postseason tournaments because of the longer media timeouts. At the end of the day. NC State was just an average team until their miraculous post season tournament run which elevated DJ Burns to a higher status.
Yeah, fair enough. However, I don't think many on this board are expecting Eddie to be Burns. He doesn't need to be. They're different players. Eddie is the better rebounder, which we really need anyway. I only compared the two because of their size.

I too am in great shape, just not for them fancy 13 inch seat backs.

I’ll meet my guy Eddie Napkins at the Erie Blvd Tullys for some tenders
IMG_4209.jpeg

blocked shots are so overrated on here

a lot of the time they dont even gain possession and teams still end up scoring ...and they happen on a miniscule percentage of possessions anyway

rather have them than not but they are not near the top of the priorities list when building a roster
Having a rim protector allows your defense to play much more aggressively on the perimeter. So, it's much more than the block shots.

There are always trade offs. Lampkin will be able to body up guys and, hopefully, move them from their spots or make it more difficult to post up. Limited rim protection means Lampkin will need to concentrate on getting inside postion as shots go up, box out, and rebound. We were smoked last season by 2nd, 3rd, 4th chance opportunities on defense.

The Lampkin/McLeod combo will give Red the option of playing a rim protector based on match ups.

Having a rim protector allows your defense to play much more aggressively on the perimeter. So, it's much more than the block shots.

There are always trade offs. Lampkin will be able to body up guys and, hopefully, move them from their spots or make it more difficult to post up. Limited rim protection means Lampkin will need to concentrate on getting inside postion as shots go up, box out, and rebound. We were smoked last season by 2nd, 3rd, 4th chance opportunities on defense.

The Lampkin/McLeod combo will give Red the option of playing a rim protector based on match ups.
In addition to being a great shotblocker, McLeod also got 12.4 rebounds per 40 last season.

I don't think he was to blame for our rebounding troubles. We'll look a lot better with Lampkin/McLeod, Freeman/Davis than Brown, Taylor as our big men.

It was brutal, even by Syracuse standards, watching our rebounding last season.

Blocking shots is so overrated. Bob Dooms never blocked a shot in his life at 6 5 but he could out physical many of the guys he was up against.

Blocking shots is so overrated. Bob Dooms never blocked a shot in his life at 6 5 but he could out physical many of the guys he was up against.
In fairness, we never played the type of comp when Bob Dooms played that we do now. Throw a 6-5 guy out there and see what happens. It wouldn't be pretty. Heck it isn't pretty when we throw 6-8 guys out there.

Having a rim protector allows your defense to play much more aggressively on the perimeter.
eh...I think this is way overrated too

if you watched mcleod play lastyear, for example, he gave up 2 or 3 WIDE OPEN dunks or layups for every shot he blocked or altered because he was clueless on protecting the rim...but his "block numbers" look great

AND the defense was poor as a team anyway...

so, overall, his "rim protection" was a net negative

i'm not saying it isnt nice to have a great rim protecting center...but reducing everything to block/game is just way overvaluing blocks

I'd rather have a center that can rebound and score in the post and be a threat on offense and guard the block...after all that then yeah get some blocks

i feel like a lot of people just want rim protection from a center and I have hated watching that style of center the last 10 years for the orange

In fairness, we never played the type of comp when Bob Dooms played that we do now. Throw a 6-5 guy out there and see what happens. It wouldn't be pretty. Heck it isn't pretty when we throw 6-8 guys out there.
My point is this. In order of importance at any position, Blocking shots is way down the list.

eh...I think this is way overrated too

if you watched mcleod play lastyear, for example, he gave up 2 or 3 WIDE OPEN dunks or layups for every shot he blocked or altered because he was clueless on protecting the rim...but his "block numbers" look great

AND the defense was poor as a team anyway...

so, overall, his "rim protection" was a net negative

i'm not saying it isnt nice to have a great rim protecting center...but reducing everything to block/game is just way overvaluing blocks

I'd rather have a center that can rebound and score in the post and be a threat on offense and guard the block...after all that then yeah get some blocks

i feel like a lot of people just want rim protection from a center and I have hated watching that style of center the last 10 years for the orange
We do have a 7 4 Mcclead if we need a few blocks

It’s an interesting comparison. Granted I’ve watched Burns way more. My take on Burns was that he was either a game changer or nothing. So much relied on if refs were letting him get away with what he wanted. An extra whistle or two early on and he was back in his shell. A ref eating a few whistles tho and all the sudden They’re in their final 4

Dooooms.

Sorry, I had to do that. Along with going crazy every time that JJ Jackson song comes on the radio.

And Tom Stundis, both really physical players on Roy's runts.