2024 - Portal Tracker | Page 76 | Syracusefan.com

2024 - Portal Tracker

I don’t think his second team is better than our starters. On paper because it’s highly ranked freshmen who maybe but I’d take a wager on that game. My point is if they can throw money at guys and get them to come even if it’s very possible they don’t play ( even if talented) then good for them. That’s a handful of teams that can do that and that’s not sustainable. It’s basically a hybrid strategy to what Cal was doing at UK.
I get it, but every year there's another reason why everyone else is good and we're not.

What's not sustainable is losing more than you bring in year after year.

Notre Dame looks good, Louisville looks better. We dont have those automatic wins this coming season.

I get it, but every year there's another reason why everyone else is good and we're not.

What's not sustainable is losing more than you bring in year after year.

Notre Dame looks good, Louisville looks better. We dont have those automatic wins this coming season.

We’ve gotta prove we are good by being a good team on both ends and making the tournament. Right now that’s gotta happen with a combo of talent, players improving and coaching. So it’s not good enough until is and all we have is numbers we are worried about and unknowns.

That K St elite 8 team came out of nowhere with a roster of guys no one was going to be selling to win more than half their games. Now they didn’t do much since that year but point is- you just have to go out and prove it. That’s where Red is at. It’s why if this roster with Lampkin is what he and staff are confident will get it done (plus a couple more guys I hope) then it’s just a matter of let’s get the kids on campus and get to work and hope the tide turns.

We’ve gotta prove we are good by being a good team on both ends and making the tournament. Right now that’s gotta happen with a combo of talent, players improving and coaching. So it’s not good enough until is and all we have is numbers we are worried about and unknowns.

That K St elite 8 team came out of nowhere with a roster of guys no one was going to be selling to win more than half their games. Now they didn’t do much since that year but point is- you just have to go out and prove it. That’s where Red is at. It’s why if this roster with Lampkin is what he and staff are confident will get it done (plus a couple more guys I hope) then it’s just a matter of let’s get the kids on campus and get to work and hope the tide turns.
Assuming Lampkin is here and Westry is healthy it's still a bubble team. If we bring another solid guard in then things change.

Carlos was brought to backup up Leffew (who I dont think is that great). He's a starter because we missed out on other targets, that's it and people around here want to sell this as something different.

Assuming Lampkin is here and Westry is healthy it's still a bubble team. If we bring another solid guard in then things change.

Carlos was brought to backup up Leffew (who I dont think is that great). He's a starter because we missed out on other targets, that's it and people around here want to sell this as something different.

Assuming JJ doesn’t improve , Moore and Cuffe
don’t give much and Bell is the same player I agree on your first statement. To which I think the conservative take is to expect minimal improvement

don’t give much and Bell is the same player I agree on your first statement. To which I think the conservative take is to expect minimal improvement
And this is all I'm saying.

It's hilarious that we can have different opinions and go back and forth. I'm appreciative that you can write something other than

"You should be a nba gm"
"Ive had him ignored for years"

Last edited:
I think it's more than cash.
It's also cachet.
Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

But seriously that's a pretty good line. Well done.

So many unknowns for next year. We could have a good (NCAA) team or we could have a losing record, I have no idea. But I do know there’s several things that need to work out for us to be good

1. Freeman has to be the real deal and have one of the best freshman seasons in Syracuse history (similar to Moten and Melo)
2. Westry has to be 100% healthy and actually better than he was before he got hurt.
3. Moore, JJ, and Cuffe all need to be consistent shooters and elevate their games. JJ especially has to reach his full potential
4. Bell has to learn how to rebound and play defense.
5. Lampkin has to be a dominant offensive force down low and be able to rebound like a beast.
6. Carlos will need to elevate his game at PG and figure out how to guard players at a higher level.
7. Davis needs to fill in all of the gaps

To me there are too many unknowns. While I would love to see everything come together, the last decade of Syracuse basketball would make that scenario seem unlikely. Red has made some odd moves this offseason. The net portal activity hasn’t been great. Syracuse basketball is in a strange place.

So many unknowns for next year. We could have a good (NCAA) team or we could have a losing record, I have no idea. But I do know there’s several things that need to work out for us to be good

1. Freeman has to be the real deal and have one of the best freshman seasons in Syracuse history (similar to Moten and Melo)
2. Westry has to be 100% healthy and actually better than he was before he got hurt.
3. Moore, JJ, and Cuffe all need to be consistent shooters and elevate their games. JJ especially has to reach his full potential
4. Bell has to learn how to rebound and play defense.
5. Lampkin has to be a dominant offensive force down low and be able to rebound like a beast.
6. Carlos will need to elevate his game at PG and figure out how to guard players at a higher level.
7. Davis needs to fill in all of the gaps

To me there are too many unknowns. While I would love to see everything come together, the last decade of Syracuse basketball would make that scenario seem unlikely. Red has made some odd moves this offseason. The net portal activity hasn’t been great. Syracuse basketball is in a strange place.

Exactly why landing a kid like Ken Davis somehow could be a huge help

I thought Red got better as the season went on, but I can't definitively say if he's good enough. I'm also more than a little concerned that we're so far removed from sustained success that today's recruits (both HS and transfers) mostly know us as where Melo went to school once upon a time but is now a program where finishing 6th in the league would be cause for celebration, and that we don't have a big enough war chest to make up the difference.

Last edited:
I thought Red got better as the season went on, but I can't definitively say if he's good enough. I'm also more than a little concerned that we're so far removed from sustained success that today's recruits (both HS and transfers) mostly know us as where Melo went to school once upon a time but is now a program where finishing 6th in the league would be cause for celebration, and that we don't have a big enough war chest to make up the difference.
I feel bad for Red that this is the landscape he started out in. Roster construction is way different than it’s ever been

I feel bad for Red that this is the landscape he started out in. Roster construction is way different than it’s ever been
I feel the same way. I feel like making the tourney next year and pulling in two stud HS recruits would go a long way to making us look much more attractive in portal recruiting next year and hopefully take care of the alleged NIL issues. A solid football season can’t hurt either. Energize the donor base.

It’s a coaches job to adapt and develop a successful strategy to develop a roster in today’s landscape. Seems like Red figured that out with last year’s portal moves, but this year is completely different. Maybe GMac was the catalyst behind the scenes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom