Class of 2020 - G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) Portal to St Johns | Page 69 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) Portal to St Johns

Not often I agree with you bud but I'm with you on this one!
If he is open to the idea, they should move on it. Have a huge fund drive to bring Kadary home to the Cuse for his last year of college ball. Get Boeheim to kick in too. No better way to heal a lot of old wounds and put the program back in the limelight. They paid the football QB a big bag, well pay the bball Qb the same.

Couscuse says some crazy things,am I right? Well here's something crazy for you: Bring back Kadary to run the team and the Orange can win a National Title. FFS.

Gave you a like, but respectfully disagree. He would immediately be our best player, easily, imo.

You can't take talent off the board if you can get it. You get it and then figure it out.

I'm not denying Kadary because of Carlos, in any circumstance. We're talking a potential all american and POY short list guy.
Yeah I'd be extremely shocked if it happened, but if anything, I would absolutely love to add top tier PG that can set things up for everyone else. I would take Kadary on this team over anyone else in the portal by a long shot right now.

Yeah I'd be extremely shocked if it happened, but if anything, I would absolutely love to add top tier PG that can set things up for everyone else. I would take Kadary on this team over anyone else in the portal by a long shot right now.
All it's going to take is money if KR is down. The dome would be sold out for the season.

I don’t think he wants to come back here to be told for the 2nd time in 5 years that he isn’t allowed to shoot any threes…..since he was at a 27% clip last year.

I don’t think he wants to come back here to be told for the 2nd time in 5 years that he isn’t allowed to shoot any threes…..since he was at a 27% clip last year.
KR knows his game and its limitations. He will shoot when he has open looks, maybe he can get 30% or better next year.

Just to be clear about this Kadary situation. When I saw he had entered the portal I thought, wow, I wish he could come back and play for the Orange. But then I further thought, no he wouldn't want to because there are some old hard feelings or something like that. Now, I really don't have a love for Brent Axe, but i do think he gets some back channel info because of his media connections and when he says there is a chance that Kadary could come back to the Cuse, then I believe that is legit. Is there someone on this board or a Syracuse fan anywhere that wouldn't go completely Gaga if it were announced that he is coming home? This would rock college basketball. Even the UConn people would give respect.

Just to be clear about this Kadary situation. When I saw he had entered the portal I thought, wow, I wish he could come back and play for the Orange. But then I further thought, no he wouldn't want to because there are some old hard feelings or something like that. Now, I really don't have a love for Brent Axe, but i do think he gets some back channel info because of his media connections and when he says there is a chance that Kadary could come back to the Cuse, then I believe that is legit. Is there someone on this board or a Syracuse fan anywhere that wouldn't go completely Gaga if it were announced that he is coming home? This would rock college basketball. Even the UConn people would give respect.
I like everything you said, except I don’t give a flying fridge what UConn people think.

Yeah that argument has been made a million times.
I’d take Kadary at the point all day everyday, but to each their own.

Yeah I'd take him today, but he was not a very good basketball player his freshman year. There's no denying that. Girard didn't get "gifted" anything. They split time, neither really outshone the other to any great extent and one took his ball and went home at the end of the season.

I think there is a bit of revisionist history going on here with regards to what Kadary did as a freshman and what opportunity he was given. Joe played 27 mpg (the lowest of his career) while Kadary played 21. He started the year his first 8 games playing 25.1 mpg and averaging 8.1 ppg (44% from the field), 4.3 rpg and 3.8 apg. Not exactly lighting CBB on fire.

He had a 7 game stretch later in the season in conference play where he played 25.6 mpg and averaged 6.6 ppg, 3.4 rpg and 3.9 apg. Again, not exactly a difference maker. Obviously, Kadari was a better defender, but is there really any argument to be made that he should have been playing 32 mpg while Joe played 12 mpg or something like that?
These are roughly on par with what MCW did for us his sophomore year on a per 40 minute basis. Not to mention what he provided defensively (which to be fair, MCW was as good as I've ever seen at the top of the zone, but Kadary was easily our best defender that year). We were quite literally one of the best teams in the country when Kadary was on the floor (better when Kadary and Joe shared the floor vs. Joe being on the bench though).

Yeah I'd take him today, but he was not a very good basketball player his freshman year. There's no denying that. Girard didn't get "gifted" anything. They split time, neither really outshone the other to any great extent and one took his ball and went home at the end of the season.
HOW is this still a take in 2024? HOW? After everything we've seen the past 4 years. This is the still the take? Really?

Sounds like what a coach might say to him regardless of where he ends up.

Yeah, by the eye test too, as soon as Kadary was in the defense tightened up significantly and the offense flowed better.
Everyone wanted to take that as shtting on Joe. After watching the last 3 years of both, it just wasn't the case, never was.

Joe wasn't a point guard and Buddy and Joe couldn't defend together. That was it. Kadary was better at Joe at both. Joe was a very good SG as we saw this year at Clemson.

I literally can't believe it's still a talking point for some. I thought the results the last 3 years would have settled it.

Yeah, by the eye test too, as soon as Kadary was in the defense tightened up significantly and the offense flowed better.

This is not objective, admittedly, but my lasting recollection of that year is how we used to get off to poor starts in games.

Seems like we were down 9-2 or 11-4 every game. Then, Kadary would come in and next thing you know it would be 11-10, and we'd be on level footing again.

Everyone wanted to take that as shtting on Joe. After watching the last 3 years of both, it just wasn't the case, never was.

Joe wasn't a point guard and Buddy and Joe couldn't defend together. That was it. Kadary was better at Joe at both. Joe was a very good SG as we saw this year at Clemson.

I literally can't believe it's still a talking point for some. I thought the results the last 3 years would have settled it.
agree entirely. That narrative is beyond ridiculous nauseating at this point.

HOW is this still a take in 2024? HOW? After everything we've seen the past 4 years. This is the still the take? Really?

Our offense was at its best when both were on the floor. I liked Kadary as a freshman but I stand by the fact that he was no world beater. He transferred to Seton Hall and saw a decline in basically every advanced statistical measure the next year, despite playing more minutes. His junior year was basically the same as his freshman year (he still only played 27 minutes per game). He didn't really come into his own until last year. Oh, and he never won a damn thing (which probably would have been the case if he stayed at Cuse too).

Last edited:
This is not objective, admittedly, but my lasting recollection of that year is how we used to get off to poor starts in games.

Seems like we were down 9-2 or 11-4 every game. Then, Kadary would come in and next thing you know it would be 11-10, and we'd be on level footing again.
I remember a game we won that got too close for comfort. Kadary wasn't on the floor to close the game and we kept coughing it up to pressure, and it kept getting tighter. Finally JB called Richmond's number with like a minute left on the clock, he took the inbounds and effortlessly broke the pressure and got the ball up court and we closed out the win.

Seemed like we could have had an easier go with it, but you can't argue with the results of Boeheim's slide rule.

I remember a game we won that got too close for comfort. Kadary wasn't on the floor to close the game and we kept coughing it up to pressure, and it kept getting tighter. Finally JB called Richmond's number with like a minute left on the clock, he took the inbounds and effortlessly broke the pressure and got the ball up court and we closed out the win.

Seemed like we could have had an easier go with it, but you can't argue with the results of Boeheim's slide rule.

That was in the NCAA tournament, against #3 seed West Virginia. We had a 9 point lead with under a minute to go, and nearly blew it. We kept turning the ball over or getting it knocked out of bounds, etc. forcing us to keep attempting to inbound the ball again. They'd get a steal and hit a shot, and then the margin we'd built kept getting smaller and smaller.

After several botched attempts, JB re-inserted Kadary into the game. Ball was inbounded to him right along the left end line. A WVU player went for the steal, but Kadary spun away, and tight-roped the end line as he pushed the ball up the court on the left leaving the defender in the dust.

When the extra defender came over to intercept him, leaving his guy alone in the paint, Kadary had a pass to the open man for a wide-open dunk. Game over.

Last edited:
Our offense was at its best when both were on the floor. I liked Kadari as a freshman but I stand by the fact that he was no world beater. He transferred to Seton Hall and saw a decline in basically every advanced statistical measure the next year, despite playing more minutes. His junior year was basically the same as his freshman year (he still only played 27 minutes per game). He didn't really come into his own until last year. Oh, and he never won a damn thing (which probably would have been the case if he stayed at Cuse too).
Well, I guess he didn't win "anything"...but he went to the tourney and won the NIT.
We went sub .500, basically got JB fired, and haven't gone to the tourney in 3 years.

Which would you prefer?

fwiw, I think if Quincy and Kadary came back in 21 with Buddy, Cole, and a more experienced Jesse with Joe and Jimmy used properly off the bench... that would have been a big time team. Wasn't meant to be though.