Class of 2020 - F Jyare Davis (DE) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/15/24) | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 F Jyare Davis (DE) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/15/24)

I watched this interview with Jyare the other day and then watched a bunch of his highlights, and I really like what he brings to the table. He’s not being talked about much, but I think he’s going to have a big impact on the team next season. Strong and physical, can get to the rim and is a decent 3-point shooter. Very good free throw shooter too.
Man, I hope you're right.

I really felt like Davis is too small to play the way he does in the ACC. He looks huge in his highlights, but it's actually only 6'7, 220lbs, which is really undersized in the ACC.

Davis spent a long time playing against lower competition, I really hope his skills translate.

I really felt like Davis is too small to play the way he does in the ACC. He looks huge in his highlights, but it's actually only 6'7, 220lbs, which is really undersized in the ACC.

Davis spent a long time playing against lower competition, I really hope his skills translate.

He is 6-7.

But I think some posters aren't aware that he started off going to Providence [his freshman year was the COVID season]. So it isn't just like he's trying to transfer to test his mettle in a bigger conference but being totally unproven -- he started out in the Big East. He also had quality P5 offers out of HS.

He's had production at the lower level, which seems to match that pedigree.

His decision to transfer down to Delaware wasn't because he couldn't cut it in the Big East, it was COVID / homesickness driven.

Last edited:

220 on one 6-7 guy can be a lot different than another. He looks and plays like he’s 230-240. He’s not going to be quite like Omier of course (few are) but as a reserve forward he has everything you want.

A decent 3 point shooter? He is a career 25% from 3. and that against lower level defenders. Let’s don’t go overboard here.

If he made one more every third game he would've shot 26% which makes it acceptable because if he hit one extra shot a month then hes at 32% which is fine.
And if you had wings you could fly. In no modern world is either 18% or 25% an acceptable percentage.

Total sarcasm, directed to the people who think Starling is a good shooter.

Great Job GIF by ION

Total sarcasm, directed to the people who think Starling is a good shooter.
Oh, I got it... My point was about sample sizes, not that shooting percentages don't matter. If Starling's whole career was in an NBA season, we'd all be saying "Don't worry, it is still early, he'll come around."

I definitely don't think you can say that about a fifth year senior like Davis with subpar shooting numbers.

But your arrow still wounds.

If Freeman doesn't work out and Davis has to play 35 minutes a game against all comers, I might agree with you, but Davis coming off the bench is a completely different matter.

First I don't think ACC bench players are any better than the competition he was going up against.

Second, Red will have the ability to pick and choose where and when to use Davis. Imagine Davis and Freeman playing as our two forwards against a team that plays 3 guards (which is most teams). Some little guard is going to get beat up by one of those two guys.

If Freeman doesn't work out and Davis has to play 35 minutes a game against all comers, I might agree with you, but Davis coming off the bench is a completely different matter.

First I don't think ACC bench players are any better than the competition he was going up against.

Second, Red will have the ability to pick and choose where and when to use Davis. Imagine Davis and Freeman playing as our two forwards against a team that plays 3 guards (which is most teams). Some little guard is going to get beat up by one of those two guys.
You're presuming somebody will know how to feed the post to take advantage of the mismatch.

I'm very excited about Davis. To me he brings a ton of what we lost when Quincy left. Strong, tough kid who while slightly undersized for a 4, will battle for rebounds, is decent enough from deep to keep the D honest and has enough versatility to play the 3.

While he likely won't start he really complements Freeman and Bell and brings a man's game into the fold. I think he will fit in very, very well.

I like Davis a lot, glad he was brought in. Toughness, rebounding, experience and inside the arc shotmaking. That said I think you don’t want him shooting three-pointers at all. I mean, just looking at stats I’m not sure why anyone is even characterizing him as a decent three-point shooter.

I like Davis a lot, glad he was brought in. Toughness, rebounding, experience and inside the arc shotmaking. That said I think you don’t want him shooting three-pointers at all. I mean, just looking at stats I’m not sure why anyone is even characterizing him as a decent three-point shooter.
I thought the same thing until I watched a few Delaware full games. Davis took a lot of threes he won’t take at SU. He was their best player and had a lot of freedom. He also got stuck with the ball at the end of the shot clock multiple times a game. Davis shot isn’t totally broken. He hit 81% of his free throws. He will hopefully only shoot wide open threes on the Hill. I expect 33-36%this season on way fewer attempts. Not great but enough to keep the defense honest.

I thought the same thing until I watched a few Delaware full games. Davis took a lot of threes he won’t take at SU. He was their best player and had a lot of freedom. He also got stuck with the ball at the end of the shot clock multiple times a game. Davis shot isn’t totally broken. He hit 81% of his free throws. He will hopefully only shoot wide open threes on the Hill. I expect 33-36%this season on way fewer attempts. Not great but enough to keep the defense honest.

Good post and perspective!

He'll rarely be the guy with the ball at the end of the shot clock with us.

If he can make enough of the wide open ones so they'll have to guard him, that will be enough.

We don't want him out there if his guy is the one doubling Lampkin in the post, unless he can make them pay.

Unfortunately it wasn’t just last season. He was equally bad the year before, when he wasn’t their main weapon. So I believe there’s a flaw in your analysis.

Unfortunately it wasn’t just last season. He was equally bad the year before, when he wasn’t their main weapon. So I believe there’s a flaw in your analysis.
He took 42 threes in 31 starts. The percentage was bad but it also shows he won’t force threes if he doesn’t have to.
Also improved from 65 to 81% on FTs while shooting more.

He is 6-7.

But I think some posters aren't aware that he started off going to Providence [his freshman year was the COVID season]. So it isn't just like he's trying to transfer to test his mettle in a bigger conference but being totally unproven -- he started out in the Big East. He also had quality P5 offers out of HS.

He's had production at the lower level, which seems to match that pedigree.

His decision to transfer down to Delaware wasn't because he couldn't cut it in the Big East, it was COVID / homesickness driven.
He red shirted at Prov and left without ever playing for them though

He red shirted at Prov and left without ever playing for them though

At one point he was on Dukes radar as a recruit if you dig through his days as a HS recruit. He didn’t develop quite as much by the time he finished HS but the talent was there and seems he finally really tapped into the player he can be his final year at Delaware even if being forced to play out of position.