A Crucial Stage in the Program's Development | Syracusefan.com

A Crucial Stage in the Program's Development

RoofBeam

2nd String
If there is a dynamic scorer along a rebounding/shot blocking/low post presence in the portal, I hope SU can be made an appealing destination, especially with Latham leaving. I am not sure what to expect of the freshmen coming in but it would be unfortunate if the staff can't build upon the momentum that Dyaisha helped create this year. I like Wooley as a player and I don't think we have seen her at her best because of all the injuries she has had to manage but there are a lot of holes in her game and in my view she would be most effective as a complementary piece since we have repeatedly seen how disastrous it can be when she is dominating the ball. ...Also, I don't think the staff would turn down an experienced point guard...It would be great if the team was again exciting enough to continue the increase in attendance at games.

If there is a dynamic scorer along a rebounding/shot blocking/low post presence in the portal, I hope SU can be made an appealing destination, especially with Latham leaving. I am not sure what to expect of the freshmen coming in but it would be unfortunate if the staff can't build upon the momentum that Dyaisha helped create this year. I like Wooley as a player and I don't think we have seen her at her best because of all the injuries she has had to manage but there are a lot of holes in her game and in my view she would be most effective as a complementary piece since we have repeatedly seen how disastrous it can be when she is dominating the ball. ...Also, I don't think the staff would turn down an experienced point guard...It would be great if the team was again exciting enough to continue the increase in attendance at games.
All signs point to a drop off. No guarantee that we can get the help we need from the Portal The Portal is about money , plain and simple, and our war chest isn't as big as a lot of our major competitors. Look on the men.s side, Calipari just left Kentucky for Arkansas for big bucks. It was stated that two big backers of Arkansas : Walmart ..Walton Money, and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones. Between those two alone...that's a lot of financial support..

IMG_5780.jpeg

All signs point to a drop off. No guarantee that we can get the help we need from the Portal The Portal is about money , plain and simple, and our war chest isn't as big as a lot of our major competitors. Look on the men.s side, Calipari just left Kentucky for Arkansas for big bucks. It was stated that two big backers of Arkansas : Walmart ..Walton Money, and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones. Between those two alone...that's a lot of financial support..
Can’t Biden sign an Executive Order or something to help our cause?

I think there are a lot of drastic differences between the men's side and the women's side.

Do I think the SEC schools have donors with funny money that invest and fund NIL on the women's side? Sure. But I do not believe for a second that it is to the level of the men's side.

Don't think you can just blame portal and Nil. If the season started today I'ld predict under .500 in ACC and no higher than 9th. Why? Teams like NDame/Virginia even Pitt add nice portal additions. Yes, we add 2 solid ones but doesn't make up for 3 starters lost.

Well solid freshman class incoming? Only 1 was ranked Kiera Scott #85. Eight ACC teams are in the top 25 recruiting classes: 6-Lville, 7-Duke, 12-GaTech, 15-NC, 17-NCSt, 18-Miami, 19-Stanford, 22-Cal.
Are we keeping up with competition in recruiting? Are we recruiting for power conference? Or mid-major? Do we have the right assistants to recruit?

Don't think you can just blame portal and Nil. If the season started today I'ld predict under .500 in ACC and no higher than 9th. Why? Teams like NDame/Virginia even Pitt add nice portal additions. Yes, we add 2 solid ones but doesn't make up for 3 starters lost.

Well solid freshman class incoming? Only 1 was ranked Kiera Scott #85. Eight ACC teams are in the top 25 recruiting classes: 6-Lville, 7-Duke, 12-GaTech, 15-NC, 17-NCSt, 18-Miami, 19-Stanford, 22-Cal.
Are we keeping up with competition in recruiting? Are we recruiting for power conference? Or mid-major? Do we have the right assistants to recruit?
Not to be negative because I love what the staff has done in the short period here. I do wonder how strong are our national recruiting ties. Coach Jack has had success with under recruited talented players. It was sad to lose Latham though. I do wonder how her medical issues last summer through the beginning of the season, a crucial recruiting period, affected our recruiting efforts trying to retool for this season. I’m hoping that with time, things will pick up, I can’t imagine the staff not giving their all. I was hoping we’d pick up some portal entries particularly former Pitt player, King though.

Shy Hawkins is probably the best recruit this year. Scott is ranked but I've watched a couple of her games and just feel like she's more of a 2+ year project.

I thought I would take a look af the roster and a possible rotation for next season. The Cuse.com roster still has all the players we lost and none of the players we added from the portal.

So let’s start with an updated roster:

Izabel Varajao 6’4 C
Kyra Wood 6’3 PF/C
Journey Thompson 6’3 PF/C
Sophie Burrows 6’2 SF/SG
Saniaa Wilson PF/C 6’0
Shy Hawkins 6’2 SF.PG
Keira Scott 6’1 SF
Georgia Woolley 6’0 SG
Madeline Potts 6’0 SG
Dominique Camp 5’8 CG
Lexi McNabb 5’7 CG
Angelica Velez 5’7 PG
Olivia Schmitt 5’5 PG

At center, Izzy is going to get most of the minutes. Hopefully she stays healthy all season. That will be one of the keys for the success of the team. Wood, Thompson and even Wilson will fill in when Izzy is not out there.

There is no clear starter at PF. Could be Wood. I suspect she will start. Thompson is surely going to get some minutes and might start. Wilson will get minutes here, especially if we are getting hurt in the boards. And I think Shy Hawkins, who is rated at almost the same level as Latham coming out of HS, is going to play a lot. And might end up our best player here by the end of the season.

At SF, Burrows is probably our best outside shooter and can also rebound, pass and play passsble defense. She is going to play a lot, especially against zone teams.

Shy might get some minutes here as well. I have a feeling she will be good right away and become a coaches favorite quickly. Keira Scott is a really nice athlete rated almost the same as Shy. She is going to get a lot of playing time. Probably our best athlete at SF. Might be our best SF against man (person) defenses.

At SG, Georgia is going to play a ton and be a big part of the team. Really hope her bad leg heals up and she is 100% this year. It was hard watching her play largely on one leg this past season. Burrows will probably be the top sub. I know some don’t like Potts much but I am a fan and think she might work her way into the rotation, especially if there is an injury. Though it is more likely she will be a depth piece next season.

I think Camp might play here some too, especially if we need more ball handling (against pressure and press defenses).

Velez is going to start at PG and have the keys to the kingdom. I think Camp is the backup PG and Schmitt probably spends the year making the transition to college ball. She will be the backup PG next season. Camp should be very capable and be an important part of the team.

I see Woolley and Burrows as experienced and reliable scorers. Velez is going to score points and get the ball to others in good scoring positions. I think of she can stay healthy, Izzy will be a double digit scorer and lead the team in rebounds and blocks. Big drop off if she gets hurt.

Power forward is a big key for this team. We need someone to step up. Can Wood or Thompson emerge as a reliable scorer, rebounder and defender? Can Shy or Scott step up quickly and be good as true frosh? Someone is going to have to really perform well here for us to be good.

My guess is that if Izzy stays healthy, we find a forward or two who steps up and end up with 20 plus wins and an NCAA bid. Of she gets hurt, it is going to be a long season.

Last edited:
I thought I would take a look af the roster and a possible rotation for next season. The Cuse.com roster still has all the players we lost and none of the players we added from the portal.

Izabel Varajao 6’4 C
Kyra Wood 6’3 PF/C
Sophie Burrows 6’2 SF/SG
Saniaa Wilson PF/C 6’0
Shy Hawkins 6’2 SF.PG
Keira Scott 6’1 SF
Georgia Woolley 6’0 SG
Madeline Potts 6’0 SG
Dominique Camp 5’8 CG
Lexi McNabb 5’7 CG
Angelica Velez 5’7 PG
Olivia Schmitt 5’5 PG

At center, Izzy is going to get most of the minutes. Hopefully she stays healthy all season. That will be one of the keys for the success of the team. Wood, Thompson and even Wilson will fill in when Izzy is not out there.

There is no clear starter at PF. Could be Wood. I suspect she will start. Thompson is surely going to get some minutes and might start. Wilson will get minutes here, especially if we are getting hurt in the boards. And I think Shy Hawkins, who is rated at almost the same level as Latham coming out of HS, is going to play a lot. And might end up our best player here by the end of the season.

At SF, Burrows is probably our best outside shooter and can also rebound, pass and play passsble defense. She is going to play a lot, especially against zone teams.

Shy might get some minutes here as well. I have a feeling she will be good right away and become a coaches favorite quickly. Keira Scott is a really nice athlete rated almost the same as Shy. She is going to get a lot of playing time. Probably our best athlete at SF. Might be our best SF against man (person) defenses.

At SG, Georgia is going to play a ton and be a big part of the team. Really hope her bad leg heals up and she is 100% this year. It was hard watching her play largely on one leg this past season. Burrows will probably be the top sub. I know some don’t like Potts much but I am a fan and think she might work her way into the rotation, especially if there is an injury. Though it is more likely she will be a depth piece next season.

I think Camp might play here some too, especially if we need more ball handling (against pressure and press defenses).

Velez is going to start at PG and have the keys to the kingdom. I think Camp is the backup PG and Schmitt probably spends the year making the transition to college ball. She will be the backup PG next season. Camp should be very capable and be an important part of the team.

I see Woolley and Burrows as experienced and reliable scorers. Velez is going to score points and get the ball to others in good scoring positions. I think of she can stay healthy, Izzy will be a double digit scorer and lead the team in rebounds and blocks. Big drop off if she gets hurt.

Power forward is a big key for this team. We need someone to step up. Can Wood or Thompson emerge as a reliable scorer, rebounder and defender? Can Shy or Scott step up quickly and be good as true frosh? Someone is going to have to really perform well here for us to be good.

My guess is that if Izzy stays healthy, we find a forward or two who steps up and end up with 29 plus wins and an NCAA bid. Of she gets hurt, it is going to be a long season.
Did you mean to say 29 wins?

Izabel Varajao 6’4 C
Kyra Wood 6’3 PF/C
Sophie Burrows 6’2 SF/SG
Saniaa Wilson PF/C 6’0
Shy Hawkins 6’2 SF.PG
Keira Scott 6’1 SF
Georgia Woolley 6’0 SG
Madeline Potts 6’0 SG
Dominique Camp 5’8 CG
Lexi McNabb 5’7 CG
Angelica Velez 5’7 PG
Olivia Schmitt 5’5 PG

My guess is that if Izzy stays healthy, we find a forward or two who steps up and end up with 29 plus wins and an NCAA bid. Of she gets hurt, it is going to be a long season.
You must not be looking at the rosters of the other ACC teams if you think we have the roster for NCAA bid. Would love for us to be top tier off ACC but don't see that.

Did you mean to say 29 wins?
20. I corrected it.
You must not be looking at the rosters of the other ACC teams if you think we have the roster for NCAA bid. Would love for us to be top tier off ACC but don't see that.
You don’t need to be in the top tier of the ACC to get 20 wins. Last season UNC finished 8th, right in the middle of the standings in the conference and got to 20 wins.

Yes, I think it is possible for Syracuse to get to 20 wins if they stay healthy. They don’t have a lot of quality depth but I think they have enough to be competitive in the conference. The bottom half of the conference is not good and there will be opportunities to get wins against those teams.

I think Coach Jack knows how to coach and her team will scrap and fight and again over achieve. But they are going to have to stay relatively healthy, with a special emphasis on Izzy and Georgia, to have a chance to go dancing.

I think the team is better than you are thinking.

They won’t be nearly as good as last season, but they won’t be as bad as you think.

As Tom said, if Izzy stays healthy we’re going to be alright.

I expect Wood to really step up this year and when Georgia is playing not injured she is something special, especially on defense

Burrows when she is on, can hit 3 ball after 3 ball

I expect Wood to really step up this year and when Georgia is playing not injured she is something special, especially on defense

Agree on Wood. She plays hard and always seems to stuff the stats. I see her with a solid 10 pts, 6 boards, 2 blocks kind of season if SU continues to play a fast paced game. Wilson is a reliable grinder with good post footwork and seems to get 6 or 8 important points in limited minutes quite often.

As for Georgia...confused by the defense comment. She jumps passing lanes too often in the backcourt and finds herself 20-feet behind the ball handler putting Cuse into a 4 on 5 until she can recover. True, she does get a steal and bucket about once a game off the inbounds, but I think she gets beat 3x for every 1x steal. Love her on O, but lateral quickness is not her thing and makes her kind of a turnstile on D. She will get as many minutes as her conditioning allows.

I think Izzy is a good complementary post player for 15 minutes a game but does not have the quickness to match up with many ACC level centers and she does not run the floor very well. I think the program really needs an athletic big and suspect they just swung and missed on the portal players they targeted to fill that role...or maybe there is still an Australian out there?

I like your assessment of the team! I have several thoughts. I was at the NC State game late in the season, where Izzy played her best game of the season. She gave NC State's big center, who played great during their run in the NCAA's, all she could handle with some great post moves and scoring. My concern besides her health is her tendency to get in foul trouble. Kyra Woods is a warrior on the boards and plays great defense. I think she will start at the PF position, but besides rebounding tyhe ball and putting it back up, her offensive game is very limited. She needs a little mid range jumper to really enhance her game, otherwise, teams leave her open when she steps away from the basket. Wilson is too short at 6-0 to play center in the ACC. She has nice post up moves, a nice little mid range jumper, and rebounds well. She will be a nice sub at the 4. Thompson, at 6-3, I know nothing of her game, but Coach Jack thinks she has a big upside. Woolley, has been a 3 year starter for Coach Jack. She has a nice offensive game and has added a midrange drive and pull up to her game. I like her defense, but the main problem she had last year, was turnovers. She led the team in turnovers and that has to improve for a player who will get as many miinutes as she will get. I love Velez's game----- Get your popcorn!!!! Sophie Burrows will be solid at the 3! Hawkins, will be the most athletic player on the floor... Watch!! I think we are really solid at the point, art the 2 and the 3! Where it gets very shakey is the 4 and the 5 positions!

I think we are really solid at the point, art the 2 and the 3! Where it gets very shakey is the 4 and the 5 positions!
Scary because Izzy, Kyra and Saniaa all run out of eligibility after next season. Can you say total reset of the frontcourt in 2025, boys and girls? I knew you could.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom