2024 New York Mets Thread | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

2024 New York Mets Thread

It is unfortunate the game was rained out yesterday. The Cards had Sonny Gray pitching and he has been great, but they are really struggling right now and the Mets seemed on top of things offensively. It is especially bad for Pete Alonso, who had a double and a homer on Wednesday and looked on the cusp of starting a hot streak.

I don't know what the analytic numbers say but to my eye, Pete is a really streaky player. He tends to get white hot for a month where he hits lots of homers, gets lots of hits and walks and drives in a ton of runs.

Then he goes cold for a few weeks, then gets hot again. He is just not consistent and if anything, it seems like he is less consistent as he ages.

That is a concern for me thinking about locking him up with a long term contract. When you have a guy in the middle of your lineup who goes ice cold for weeks or longer multiple times a year, it makes a big impact on the offense. You want your key hitters to be players you can count on.

Hopefully he figures things out late, the pressure he has to produce on a contract year focuses him and he plays well from this point forward. It would be nice to have a player come up with the Mets, win rookie of the year, then have a distinguished long career with the Mets, retire still on the team and then get elected to the Hall of Fame.

It has never happened and in this day and age, it might never happen (too bad what happened with David Wright). This might be our best shot.

I really hope it works out for Pete and the Mets long term. He seems like a genuine good guy and I love his support for the first responders and his love for the Mets.

I really hope it works out for Pete and the Mets long term. He seems like a genuine good guy and I love his support for the first responders and his love for the Mets.

I’d love to see it work out…I just think there’s very little chance it will. With Boras as his agent always pushing for top dollar, it’s doubtful he’d be willing and able to give the Mets the “hometown discount” that is going to be needed to resign him. And as much as Pete is a fan favorite - on any articles like this the comments are trending towards “I love Pete, but if we need to overpay to keep him - let him walk”.

It is unfortunate the game was rained out yesterday. The Cards had Sonny Gray pitching and he has been great, but they are really struggling right now and the Mets seemed on top of things offensively. It is especially bad for Pete Alonso, who had a double and a homer on Wednesday and looked on the cusp of starting a hot streak.

I don't know what the analytic numbers say but to my eye, Pete is a really streaky player. He tends to get white hot for a month where he hits lots of homers, gets lots of hits and walks and drives in a ton of runs.

Then he goes cold for a few weeks, then gets hot again. He is just not consistent and if anything, it seems like he is less consistent as he ages.

That is a concern for me thinking about locking him up with a long term contract. When you have a guy in the middle of your lineup who goes ice cold for weeks or longer multiple times a year, it makes a big impact on the offense. You want your key hitters to be players you can count on.

Hopefully he figures things out late, the pressure he has to produce on a contract year focuses him and he plays well from this point forward. It would be nice to have a player come up with the Mets, win rookie of the year, then have a distinguished long career with the Mets, retire still on the team and then get elected to the Hall of Fame.

It has never happened and in this day and age, it might never happen (too bad what happened with David Wright). This might be our best shot.

The Met's career stat records are much lower than they should be in every category because their stars tend to burn out or get traded. We should have had a 500 home runs guy, a 300 game winner, etc. a long time ago.

Huge HR by Nimmo, who must be healthy. Great games vs. the Braves but we needed to win one.

They said that the Mets lead the NL in walk-off wins and are tied with the Yankees with 11 wins in which the other team scored first.

Amid all the metrics:

“I don’t know yet,” hitting coach Jeremy Barnes said over the weekend. “The biggest thing I would say is I think he just went into a funk quick without having a hot streak before that, so it’s just skewing the numbers right now. I think we’ll look at the end of the year and Pete’s going to hit the ball hard. That’s my take. … We’re paying attention to it, but I really like the track he’s on right now.”

Amid all the metrics:

“I don’t know yet,” hitting coach Jeremy Barnes said over the weekend. “The biggest thing I would say is I think he just went into a funk quick without having a hot streak before that, so it’s just skewing the numbers right now. I think we’ll look at the end of the year and Pete’s going to hit the ball hard. That’s my take. … We’re paying attention to it, but I really like the track he’s on right now.”
I wonder how many hard hits he got today when they got shutout.

I remember Dave as the guy who got the game-winning hit when the Mets clinched the division in 1986. He was a great contact hitter with little power who played first base but managed a long career anyway.

When you're not scoring once, a single bad inning can mean defeat. You can't overcome things when you don't score.

The lack of offense just seems like a problem the Mets have year after year. I’d hate to be a pitcher on their staff. DeGrom should have had more wins but the lack of run support for him was always an issue.

Ugh. Where to start?

I think Mendoza leaves his starting pitchers in too long. It is a common problem for rookie managers. I hope he figures it out soon. To be fair, the Mets starting pitchers have been bad at getting deep in games so I think sometimes he is trying to avoid burning up his bullpen by going to it too early.

But with another poor offensive team, you can’t leave pitchers in who are getting bombed.

Very disappointed with Baty. He got off to a good start the past two years and them just went into a long awful stretch. I refuse to believe he is not a good MLB hitter. I hope he isn’t going to be one of those guys who couldn’t get the job done as a Met but becomes a star for someone else.

Also disappointed with McNeil. He has been a mess for for too long. Almost all of 2023 and all of 2024. He is really struggling to hit the ball hard. He is getting fastballs inside and has no answer to this. I would hope he could at least stop swinging at pitches about to hit him. Throw in his below average defense and he is a below average player. The Mets have a bunch of those types.

I want to see what Vientos can do playing every day. Now that the Mets have signed JD, I guess that means to make this happen, he needs to be the regular 3B. Do it. He has been the best hitter on the team all spring and has been good when he has had chances in the regular season. And of course he was excellent down in Syracuse as well.

Very disappointed that Drew Gilbert and Jett Williams are hurt. They are the future and I would like to see what they can do soon. They do need more experience playing in the minors. The injuries are delaying their MLB debuts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom