OT- Alumni emails (@syr) to be closed | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT- Alumni emails (@syr) to be closed

I graduated in 2005 & it would never, ever have crossed my mind to have access to a syr.edu alumni email address… I stopped checking that thing as soon as I graduated & all loose ends were cleared. My categories are blown right now, haha

Damn this sucks. I only log in maybe once per year for accounts I can't change the email but its pretty important.

DraftKings and Fanduel won't let me change emails from the syr one so this really sucks for that.
Try to email support. They should be able to do it for you.

I just checked my alumni email and found out I need to help a Nigerian prince transfer some money between bank accounts. It seems like a lucrative deal, so I might be on vacation for a while.
Send it to me first, I'll make sure it gets to him.

I just reached out to them to express my discontent with the cancellation and they granted me an extension until August.

I hope enough people do the same and possibly compel them to rescind this decision.
What email address did you reach out to?

I just reached out to them to express my discontent with the cancellation and they granted me an extension until August.

I hope enough people do the same and possibly compel them to rescind this decision.
I’m reaching out hopefully tomorrow.

We didn't even have a phone in the dorm hallway.. We had one phone in the entire dorm and you had a line most of the time trying to use it.

I don't think email was a thing until mid 90s at work.

Computer labs! Cannot say I ever used it.
The only computer class I took at SU was APL. I think it was a thing for the engineering students.

I was a math major, as I was looking for easy access to the ladies

In my day, we didn't have student email accounts.

And there was a phone in the dorm hallway that everyone shared.
I used a manual typewriter. The newswriting labs in Newhouse had really old, clunky, heavy manual ones too. My high school had nicer, electric IBM typewriters for typing class. It never made sense to me.

I did the same. For the amount of money they received from me, the least they can do is keep my email forwarding over to Gmail.

Are the syracuse email addresses self-hosted or do they contract out to Microsoft or google to handle all the emailing?

As a software engineer, If it's self-hosted, it's probably incredibly expensive and a time suck to be constantly running email servers and worse, paying people to run email servers.

But if it's contracted out to google or microsoft, they're just cheap and don't want to pay for the services. In fact, I imagine that they could release your account to google/microsoft and you'd be able to pay them directly.

from what we see self hosting is costly but you have control. hosted means less cost in house but higher cost on the back end,

I didn't see the announcement from SU, but I'm guessing it's related to this:

They are not alone. Le Moyne did away with email for life for alumni several years back (as did the high school that I previously worked at) and many more schools have done the same recently:

The issue is not the hosting though.. the issue is not enforcing the cleanup limits on the accts

Pretty cheap to use alumni accts. Its not cheap when people store 100 gigs of email and crap.

I honestly didn't know I had an alumni email.

But when I think of syr.edu email, I think of the old pine system. We were pioneers! And now we're dinosaurs.
PINE Amazing reference. I used to love checking my email at the Schine Student center in the hallway downstairs near the CHASE atm. What a system.